Forum

• By (Deleted User)

The IEEE 802.11 Working Group voted to support a single mesh networking proposal, which, according to the group, is the first step in adopting the IEEE 802.11s standard - "Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: Extended Services Set Mesh Networking." The standard will be designed to enable an interoperable and secure wireless distribution system between 802.11 mesh points.

• Joel,

802.11s Might just help Interoperability between
    single radio Mesh APs.

What about dual and mutiradio mesh from

1) Strixsystems
    2) Firetide
    3) Belair and several other startups

Do you thinks these Mesh leader will support 802.11s

Best ,

S.Senthilraj

• By (Deleted User)

Cisco uses dual-radios in its AP1500 outdoor mesh APs and is supporting 802.11s. I think there are good reasons for other multi-radio vendors to support it as well.

Joel

• Joel,

Let us Assume that Cisco Outdoor Mesh APs support 802.11s
    and could interoperate with Linkys/Any other vendors for Wireless Backhaul.

What will you do for the following

1) Centarlized Mangement.[ Can you manage the Another vendors AP]
    2) Rogue APs[Any device can log into your Wireless Backhaul][Big threat]

I think 802.11s will be moresucessful in SOHO Market not for the Enterprise.

City wide /town wide installations

Best Regards,
    S.Senthilraj

• By (Deleted User)

Ok, so Airespace can already manage other APs via SNMP but the reality is that hardly anyone deploys multiple AP types into their enterprise WLAN environments. I would assume though that in an 802.11s environment you'd be able to at least manage basic security, power and channel settings via the selected .11s protocol for all APs that participate in the mesh.

To prevent unauthorized APs, Airespace requires harware auth via X.509 certs before allowing any AP to join the controller.

Joel

• Hi Joel,

Thanks for your Explanation.
    Have to wait and see how 802.11s goes.

Best Regards,
    S.Senthilraj

Page 1 of 1