Forum

About byod

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: August 1, 2012:
  • Now about all wlan vendor have byod solution.

byod solution can manage all device,for example

iphone ipad windows mobile.

but i have a question how can system can guest different

device ,because all device only have mac different?

or all user device install some client software, ant other choice?

• The wording of your question is a bit confusing to me.
    But I will comment with there are many other things you can learn from packets other than the MAC address. simply how the client joins the network can tell you a lot about the OS that is installed.
    -Steve

• Most BYOD solutions require some form of user authentication, either through 802.1X or a captive web portal.  From there the system may track the device via a combination of MAC address, operating system, hostname, HTTP user agent, SNMP, etc.  It may even require the user to install an agent on the device for policy enforcement and administrative access.

• I wonder which packets have opeating system information?
    802.11 authentation/association or 802.1X EAP packets?
    Thanks

• By @@ron - edited: August 1, 2012

Take a look at the BYOD solutions from Cisco and Aruba -- 802.1X is used to assign a profile or role based on directory attributes.  Further methods are used to determine information about the device, such as DNS attributes, SNMP information, browser fingerprinting, etc.  One may argue that these methods are defeatable by a smart user, but the fact is that most users don't care to try, making this approach acceptable for most admins.

Page 1 of 1