Forum

• In a sniffer trace I see an 802.11b client with 1,2,5,11 as Non-Basic, and other times I see them as Basic. Same goes for 802.11b APs.

When do they need to be classified as basic and when are they non-basic.

If an 802.11b AP showed 1 and 2Mb as basic and 5.5, 11 and Non Basic, would an 802.11b client that had all 4 supported rates listed as Non-Basic be able to associate successfully?

• Hi React302: Silly clients and silly analyzers.

Every 802.11 station, whether client or access point, has its own set of supported rates. Every BSS has a set of basic rates. The basic rates list is all or a subset of the supported rates of the access point. The basic rates list is simply the supported rates list with an additional set of markers identifying which ones are both supported and basic.

Client stations have no need to identify basic rates for the BSS or to republish the set they learn from the access point, but in my experience sometimes they do. So far as I know it has no effect on association procedures. So to answer your last question, yes the client with all the BSS's basic rates in its supported rates list would associate.

Access points must identify at least one supported rate as also a basic rate. Check your own experience to confirm this.

Protocol analyzers simply report the supported rates list and if the extra markers are there note which ones are "basic".

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

Page 1 of 1