• By Alfredo - edited: October 14, 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have a question which is related to today's question of the day.  Could about 15 Magic Mouse and 15 Mac Keyboards both wireless devices affect throughput or connectivity issues in about a 30' area?  Hardly anyone works in this area or the rest of the office on wireless because when we dock our computers we use the Ethernet connection.  But when I teach VPN training and I undock the laptops and put the User on wireless it will take a long time to connect.  Or we have to walk to another part of the office and restart the computer to pick up a new AP in our BSS.

Also, nowhere in the office is there so many Bluetooth devices because we encourage Users to keep Bluetooth or wireless personal devices out of our office because it may affect our WLAN.  The exception we make for the MAC users is that they need their wireless Magic Mouse and MAC keyboards.  I also noticed that my cell phone wifi and other cell phone wifi dropped connection around the same area and we couldn't see the BYOD network for a while.

The access points are Aruba and Aruba advised we enable "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" to see if that would make the difference when I asked if it could possibly be wifi interference.

• By Howard - edited: August 27, 2014

I have definitely seen BT devices negatively affect a WLAN, but I am not sure if they were using BT-DFS or not.  

My companies BT products have Class-2 BT, and I haven't seen any bad effects from them with even 20 of them in the same room.   We also consistently get a 100 meter range from them too (great antenna designs !).

The Magic Mouse and keyboards might be using class-1 BT, but I doubt it.   Heck, they wouldn't even have to be real BT.  It might be fun to fire up your WLAN devices first and then turn on the MAC's  and see how that affects things.

You could learn a lot with a high resolution spectrum analyzer.    

• For what it's worth, Bluetooth is a 2.4Ghz technology, you could avoid interference from it all together by using 802.11a.  If you still have performance issues in that band you can at least rule the BT devices out.

That being said, if BT devices see 802.11 devices using channels, they will generally remove those channels from their hop sequence to help with interference, but I'm not sure what 30 devices so close would do.

• There are a minimum number of channels required for a BT connection.   I'm not sure but it may be about 18 of them or so.

It probably depends on the utilization rather than the number of devices in use.   Heavy usage across the band may make it hard to initially authenticate.

I can only suggest you test it out, then let us know what you find :-)   .

• With Aruba I would recommend making sure you are running the latest software. 

Page 1 of 1