Forum

• I'm looking for a powerline (wired) networking solution. I just got done installing a hotel with wireless, but they want 14 rooms to be wired. Problem is, the hotel is entirely concrete and with conduit etc is going to be a real pain to wire. So, I'm looking for any input.

One specific question I have: I have been looking at the Netgear XE102, but my concern is that I wouldn't be able to isolate the rooms from each other without a 1:1 ratio of networking equipment. And, even then I don't think that would work. It's like I need a main controller.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it!

• By (Deleted User)

GTHill,

I am not up on powerline wired and wireless but here is something Netgear posted on that device you are thinking about utilizing.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101233.asp

This link talks about powerline (BPL) Pretty good read, with a link to a previous BPL write-up by the same author.

http://www.commweb.com/trends/175007165

Concrete facilities are a bear to work with (wirelessly) you typical lose 20 to 30db to absorption of the RF. You may want to look at this link and the products they specify for powerline both wired and wireless.

http://www.corinex.com/web/wcx2.nsf/o/eng-enter

• Thanks a lot for the info.

The wireless part is easy, even with the concrete. Now, if I come across a hotel that doesn't have windows, I'm hosed. :)

I'm still not sure if I am going to go with the powerline solution or go ahead and run the conduit. Again, I appreciate the information!

• By (Deleted User)

What tricks are you using to ovecome the concrete loss issues? I have rooms that are hard to penetrate in hotels at times, and am only using 5dbi gain omni directional antennas.

Can't use amplifiers with APs if they are not certified together per FCC part 15 to boost the signals?

Thanks

• Hyperlink sells 25W 2.4 GHz amps that are great for that type of install. Kidding!

:) I'm cheating. I'm installing the antennas outside the hotel, not inside. Most of the hotels that I install are outside entrance properties. In addition, a lot of the hotels I install there is no access to install the AP's inside. No attic or chase way.

Installing the antennas outside is just about the only way to do it, at least economically. To prevent unauthorized access I use a router with a username and password printer. It works pretty slick.

So how many hotels do you install? Is it a full time gig or just whenever the opportunity arises. Yeah... I think me and others in this forum would like to know exactly what compughter does for a living. :)

P.S. I want to give your props for divulging your exam history in the other post. Failure is not something any of us like to admit, but you did it to show that perseverance is what is needed to succeed, and for that I commend you.

• By (Deleted User)

Check out Cisco's Long Reach Ethernet (LRE) solutions. These have been successfully used in many hotel deployments.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modems/index.html

Joel

• By (Deleted User)

So how many hotels do you install? Is it a full time gig or just whenever the opportunity arises. Yeah... I think me and others in this forum would like to know exactly what compughter does for a living.

The biggest site survey since being out was let's just say over two weeks of 12 to 14 hour days of nothing but RF propagation analysis with 3 other people with me. What was so remarkable was, I was in charge of training them on the processes. 2 of the 3 are CWNAs and that is a good thing! We all got through it and today, they are teaching me some things making me a better wireless engineer.

V/r

• Without getting specific and I hope not too personal but what kind of money is there to be had in the hotel wireless game?

Thanks guys -goood luck Gene

• By (Deleted User)

HomeLights,

It all depends on the skill set brought to the table, the market and the tools used to provide these services. I may be wrong but I have not been exposed to the commerial world for years so my understanding of what a good salary for an RF engineer (wireless) is antiquated.

Let's just keep honing our skills, learning this stuff.

• Good to learn more about you. :) I have decided to just bite the bullet and wire the rooms instead of powerline networking. Now.. if I can just find my punchdown tool....

Page 1 of 2