Forum

• By z4 - edited: November 15, 2012

My topology like this:

client ))) AP -——— ZoneDirector -———-internet

I Setup a Wlan with authentication via Active Directory and Using Portal for authorization

if client have no proxy on browser, when client goes to a website it will be redirected to portal to input Username/passed, after that it will go to internet as usual.

But in case, when a company would like to control user by a FireWall (ISA) they force user will using Proxy on browser to make sure every content will be gone through them, so when client goes to a website, a blank page will be returned, so client can’t get the internet?

client (proxy) ))) AP -——— ZoneDirector -———-internet

I don’t know how to solve for this solution. (using portal, but client having proxy)

Could you please suggest.

• In the Portal authentication, whenever the AP sees the HTTP packets, it will redirect to the Portal web page for authentication. However when you use Proxy in the web browser the packets go with SOCKS protocol. Hence it will not be redirected to Portal web page.

One workaround is,,, put some dummy ip address in the "No Proxy for: " in the Mozilla Firefox and try that ip in the web browser. This time it will redirect to local portal page for authentication. Once authenticated it can use proxy for the internet.

• Have you looked into transparent, layer 2 web proxying?  Not sure if it this is possible with the network and products you're using, but it could possibly lend a hand.  It removes the requirement to manually configure the client browsers to point to a proxy.  Not so slick for SSL, but would be effective for plain-text HTTP on any port.

--@@ron

Page 1 of 1