Forum

• Thanks for all of the responses. Very helpful!

Throughput has not been an issue because the applications on the WLAN have needed very little bandwidth. But this is sure to change! It seems I need to plan to combine SSIDs if at all possible.

• Typical basic rates for 802.11g are 1 or 2 meg...which ends up taking up more airtime, even if fewer frames are sent than data.

• No, Mine are working very well. Thanks you for your care and kindness!

• By (Deleted User)

Do you still have a lot of low speed basic rates? Having a lot of old hardware?

Cisco recomends for the Voice enabled WLAN to turn off everything below 12MHz, so that will at least make those beacons to be faster at least for that SSID.

It is probably a good time to get rid of all those old devices and/or move your High data Intensity clients to the a-radio, and turn on 802.11n.

Having this old stuff on your b/g network and try to benefit from 802.11n in the 2.4 Ghz band is not a good idea.

• I had the opportunity to investigate this a little further last week with airmagnet. An AP broadcasting 4 SSIDs at 2Mbps uses 7% of the available bandwidth (802.11g). Switching off the 1 and 2 Mbps rates and moving Beacons to 12Mbps brings this bandwidth usage to <1%.

• Paul,

Nice to get some hard numbers on that question.

Wlanman

• So what about having a Voice WLAN running at 12Mbps, but also a data WLAN @6Mpbs and up?
    And ofcourse...we want to do LBS and those x@! tags only connect on .11b (when using Ekahau...).
    Since the AP uses the same channel for these 3 SSIDs, what does this do to my management-overhead and performance? My guess is, the LBS-SSID counts for most of the degredation but that's just my theory.

Arjan

• I had the opportunity to investigate this a little further last week with airmagnet. An AP broadcasting 4 SSIDs at 2Mbps uses 7% of the available bandwidth (802.11g). Switching off the 1 and 2 Mbps rates and moving Beacons to 12Mbps brings this bandwidth usage to <1%................???

[b]really didnt understood that how the bandwidth usage drop to <1% ..from 7%..................???????
    [/b]

• bandwidth's possibly not the right terminology, it should probably read 'airtime'.

Anyways the 40 beacons being sent every second at 2Mbps eat up 7% of the available airtime/bandwidth. If you force the beacons to a higher data rate they use up less airtime/bandwidth.

• thx

Page 2 of 2