Forum

• Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I have a very important manufacturer's warehouse to design wireless for, it is full of metal shelves and all I have budgeted for is enough time for a predictive wireless survey via Airmagnet Planner tool.

I'm struggling to understand how I can place the directional antenna AIR-ANT2566-P4W-R to a ceiling mount orientation on Airmagnet.

The only options are Elevation or Azimuth and how many degrees to rotate the antenna.

I assume that the directional antenna is wall mount orientation by default on Airmagnet Planner so how can I change this on Airmagnet Planner to a spotlight design whereby I ceiling mount the directional antenna pointing downwards?

Does selecting the directional antenna in elevation plane achieve this? I'm not able to successfully image this in my head to confirm.

• Hello 2jz,

On the AirMagnet Planner tool you will see that each antenna pattern shows twice, once for Azimuth (A) and once for Elevation (E). If you are installing the AP's on the ceiling you should select the Azimuth option (A).

As for the rotation option, this is used to point directional or semi-directional antennas on a specific direction. For example, the AIR-ANT2566-P4W-R is semi-directional, which means the signal is stronger on one direction. You can use the rotation option to select on which direction you want the strongest signal to point to.

• Thanks for your reply Darksnider,

I understand that you would select the Azimuth plane on Airmagnet Planner for Omni-Directional APs that are being ceiling mounted.

However, for Directional Antennas such as the AIR-ANT2566-P4W-R, the Azimuth plane is the top down view of the directional antenna being wall mounted facing true north which means if I was to ceiling mount the AIR-ANT2566-P4W-R antenna, the Azimuth plane would be wrong as the antenna is tilted -90degrees downwards.

As there is no antenna tilt option on Airmagnet, would the propagation pattern of the AIR-ANT2566-P4W-R antenna when ceiling mounted (tilted -90degrees) be the E plane option?

• Hello 2jz,

That is a very good point, thank you for the clarification regarding the AIR-ANT2566-P4W-R. Yes, on a case like this using the Elevation option on the AirMagnet Planner will provide the results you are looking for.

Page 1 of 1