Forum

• By Howard - edited: August 21, 2017

Ekahau seems to be having some big problems with their webinar confirmation system.

Multiple sign-ups, using both addresses.    Can't blame it on spam folders either.

They have issued a new URL for sign-ups, but it doesn't appear to be working either.:

https://www.ekahau.com/blog/2017/08/16/webinar-wi-fi-vs-lte-u-heres-mess-made/

Their direct emails come through, just not their confirmations.

Anyone having any luck ?

• Thanks for the seminar reference Howard.  I was able to sign up.

• By Howard - edited: August 22, 2017

You're welcome.

Did you actually get the confirmation email ?

Or just the message that you were signed up after you pressed submit ?

• I received a confirming email with a gotowebinar link that was specific to me.  The process appears to work for my case, but not sure what happened in the other cases.  Email problem on their end?

• It looks like my companies *&!@#?!  stupid email filter was the problem.    Until I get back a response (?) from them I will never know.

I missed the first couple minutes, of the webinar - I asked some pretty pointed question, but did not get any answers - probably too much politics involved.

It does sound like the FCC will continue to abrogate any real responsibility to "protect the public".

In general,  I wish Ekahau would allow more time for questions on their webinars, but then we aren't paying for the time slot..

Overall it sounds like planning Installations will be much more difficult in the future.   More emphasis on directional antennas. Maybe  moving existing AP's.    Probably the best thing would be forbidding telco's from adding LTE-U channels inside your buildings.  

I don't live in a large apartment complex in a downtown area of town, but If I did I would be worried.    Wi-Fi is already a pain when you have 200+ units in a complex.

LTE-LWA and MuLTE-Fire sound like the only good options.

• It was a good overview of some of the LTE standards, but was definitely was not a deep dive.  I am glad you mentioned this webinar.  Hopefully some of the future webinars will go deeper.  

What do you think of ACC, Advanced Cellular Coexistence?  I have seen references to this in both Cisco and Aruba documents.  It exists but what are the details of how it works?  Is it marketing fluff or something more?:

• By Howard - edited: August 30, 2017

I got back some information from Brad Jolly.

He said that he had missed my questions amid all the others.    Among his reply were the following:

I have no non-public insight into the issue of how the FCC would deal with interference caused by LTE-U, but FCC Chairman Ajit Pai seems to be supportive of LTE--U in this statement:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-343598A1.pdf

Chairman Pai also sees LTE-U as promoting entrepreneurship and innovation:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344732A1.pdf

He also said that he did not know how any interference to medical equipment caused by LTE-U would be handled.

From reading other FCC/FDA documents, it sounds like the FCC intends that all of their various rules will preclude the possibility of any problems - I won't hold my breath (no pun intended)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen much on ACC, but do have some information that might help.

How about you start a new post, with a different title, and we start from there ?

I'm concerned that the new topic and material will get lost in this threads title.

Thanks,

Howard

• I just now found this 2016 response from Microsoft regarding .LTE-U.    I decided to post it now before I forgot about it.

In part, it says:

However, the currently proposed compromise threshold is significantly higher than that received by Wi-Fi access points from many battery-powered Wi-Fi clients. Under the current test plan, millions of Wi-Fi devices operating today will be ignored by LTE-U equipment while it is calculating how to share fairly, with the result that some of these devices will be interfered with, and, in the worst-case scenario, will be denied access to the channel completely when some LTE-U devices transmit a signal that will cause Wi-Fi devices to turn off when they assert that it is their turn to transmit.

my emphasis - H.

It's at:

https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2016/08/19/fair-wifi-and-cellular-wireless-coexistence-benefits-everyone/

• Hi Howard,

I was invited to a local vendor forum by https://www.ixiacom.com/.  The topic is 5G/Wi-Fi Coexistence Testing.   I have some questions in mind, but please send any you would like to ask as well.

Thanks,

David 

• By Howard - edited: October 2, 2017

David,

I tried your link, but could not find anything there.   However, I did find several reports on Coexistence testing.   

In their Validation Methods paper they say that Wi-Fi is unstable under -40 dBm power levels.  Anyone familiar with communications realizes that -40 dBm is a very strong signal.     Wi-Fi seemed to me to be doing very well even at 1/100 - 1/1000 of that much power.   I want  the same from LTE.

Ixia seems to be taking a very different tack from their Veriwave brethren, who seemed much more concerned with improving Wi-Fi performance.

I am still concerned that LTE-U will adversely affect Wi-Fi, which I feel should have a higher  priority - despite the "unlicensed band" designation.   The controls on LTE-U definitely do not seem to be well regulated.

I have seen no assurance that once an LTE-U connection is made, on any channel, that some Wi-Fi devices will work on that channel again, at least within a definite time period.

From the very beginning, it was obvious that the LTE industry had no intention of playing fair with others on the same band.    Wi-fI was on those bands years ahead of them, and even BT takes some pains to be compatible.   A compatible LBT algorithm should be required.

Of major importance, is what can a user do, especially in a medical setting, if LTE-U is causing problems.

It seems like the FCC, under both parties, has pretty much failed in this arena.

Please let us know of anything interesting you here there.

Page 3 of 4