Forum

• In the next few posts, I?ll discuss some of the problems that can and do occur to people as a result of overuse/improper use of computers and laptops, when no corrective measures take place. Does this mean that these things will happen to you, as an individual ? That of course is impossible to say. However, aches and pains ( and even more serious issues ) from computer use have increased dramatically over the last few years. Spinal and carpal tunnel surgeries for IT personnel have rocketed over the last decade. Back/neck pain is now the second most common reason for people to see the doctor.

After we finish with the posts on the possible damage that can be done, I?ll discuss some of the reasons why some therapists keep making the same mistakes when treating people, then we?ll discuss proper stretching, and finally a ?road map?of questions that you should ask your therapist to ensure that you will get the best results for your money. We?ll finish off with some information on some of the therapists who have helped me, and others like them that you may be able to find where you live. Knowing how to plan sessions with a therapist is vitally important. Goals and planned progress need to be discussed, along with what will happen if those goals are not met. One of the therapists who has helped me greatly, Aaron Mattes has saved over 2,600 people from hip replacements. I won?t get into the mechanics of how that works, but have a look at people?s feet at the supermarket next time you?re there, then closely look at your own when you are walking. Are both feet perfectly straight ahead ? Does one ( or both ) stick out to the side ? From a simple vector analysis, we can see that some force is applied sideways instead of straight ahead. ?Big deal !!? It is a big deal. Now you have a force being applied sideways to your femur ( thigh bone ) which now presses against the lining of the hip socket. That is only one reason. Why would one foot point outwards ? Many reasons. When you are in a modern car, most people have one foot on the gas/brake, and the other ?just sort of lays at the side, flopping around?. Imagine this repeated for hours, hundreds or thousands of times a year. ?Muscle imbalances anyone ??

I have been volunteering on back and neck pain forums for nearly six years now. I do this for free, as I had nobody to help me at all during the initial stages of my problems. The information I have put here was not learned at any seminar or course. It was what I had to learn in order to ( literally ) be able to walk again. I know nothing of hearts and livers and kidneys etc., but I challenge any doctor or surgeon on the planet ( and have done several times in the past via forums and in offices ) to contradict anything that I have written. Not one has been successful so far. Within minutes of talking to most of them, it becomes apparent that only the tiniest percentage have any idea whatsoever about mechanical theory. I have found that engineers respond to the material I have written much better and faster ( in terms of understanding ) than any other group.

Sadly, many will just read this and say ?Nothing?s happened to me so far, and look at that old guy in the next cubicle?.he?s been at this for years and nothing?s happened to him?. Sadly, that situation often changes abruptly later on, as we will find out when we discuss muscular pain thresholds, and foraminal blockage.

In the following posts, we will only be discussing some of the possible problems caused by muscles.

I have x-rays of the neck and spine for myself and my wife and am trying to get them digitized so that I can put them on the Internet, in order for people to see some of the problems that we both had prior to treatment, and the resulting improvements thereafter.

When we sit improperly at a laptop computer, a number of physical effects occur.
    The pectoral muscles run across the chest. They have a number of different sections. One section end is attached to the chest, while the other section end is attached to the bone of the upper arm. When we overuse a muscle and do not stretch it regularly, the muscle contracts. When the muscle contracts, blood flow is reduced. Over time, lactic acid builds up, and waste products form as described perviously. Take a thumb ( or preferably have someone else do it ) and dig in to your chest muscles all over. I can practically guarantee that there will be a number of spots that will make you wince. This should not be. If a muscle is healthy, stretched and free of adhesions, lactic acid and knots etc, you should literally be able to push with all your body strength and barely feel a thing.

Due to the end points of the chest muscles ( chest and upper arm ), when the muscle contracts, the arms move forward relative to where they should be. As the arms move forward, the tightened chest muscles cause your thoracic ( upper back curve ) to increase. We have mentioned previously, the problems that arise when a spinal curve is moved from it?s optimum value. Now your shoulders are rolled forward. But your arms are also rolled forward. They are heavy. They weigh anywhere from about 6 to 8 pounds for an average person. Now those arms have moved forward of where they should be, our center of gravity shifts. Once again, as with the head, the brain sends a signal to the back muscles to tighten up to compensate.

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/how_many_exercises_do_you_need_for_your_chest_muscle/P6/

Take a look around at any company meeting or at a Wi-Fi enabled coffee shop or at any airport lounge, and you will see just about everyone crouched forward with a distinct ?hump? in the upper back. Bye the way, with all spinal curves correct, the average person should be able to stand relaxed against a wall and have the back of their head touch the wall easily. The backs of the shoulders should also touch the wall. Most IT personnel get a surprise when photos are taken of where their head actually is in relation to the wall. The chest muscles contain a rich supply of nerves, and constant compression can result in all sorts of chest pains ( non-cardiac related ).

http://www.bentolson.co.uk/newsletters_3.html
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/workplacehealth/Pages/Howtositcorrectly.aspx

Good video at bottom of previous. However, this may not be the complete solution for many, as we?ll discuss later. If you already have knots and adhesions, the seating methods will not solve those problems. They will however, aid in preventing further problems from occurring. A big mistake is made by many in assuming that all need to do is get an ergonomic chair. The chair is only a small part of the equation.

At the end of the video ???the eyes should be level with the screen?. Have a look at your work colleagues using laptops ( without a docking station screen ). Are their eyes level with the screen ? How have they hunched over in order to see the screen ? Answer?they have contracted their chest and shoulder muscles.

Under your ribcage is a very thick muscle called the DIAPHRAGM. When we breathe, the muscles between the ribs called the INTERCOSTALS are supposed to expand , allowing the lungs to move freely outwards. What is not well known, generally, is that the lungs are also supposed to move DOWNWARDS as well, into the body cavity. Constant sitting at a desk/working at a computer causes the diaphragm to shorten. This in turn prevents the lungs from moving downwards. One of the therapists who works on me has been able to increase the lung capacity of some Navy SEALS by almost one third. One of them was on the bed next to me last year. After an hour or so of treatment, you could see his stomach rising and falling as he breathed ( that is the way we are supposed to breathe?diaphragmatically ). For those guys, the diaphragm had become tight due to their ?bent over? position when carrying back packs. ?Push-ups? cause severe contraction of the chest muscles and shoulder muscles. These were some of the problems that I had due to hours spent carrying packs up and down hills in Scotland, and doing push-ups with no compensatory stretching afterwards.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/99770/The-diaphragm-contracts-and-relaxes-forcing-air-in-and-out

?I was just reaching for a can of Coke when this pain shot up my arm?..I can?t understand why something so simple caused so much pain?. Perhaps this has happened to you or a friend. When I herniated a disk in my lower back, I was putting a bag on the weigh-scale at the airport check-in counter. This was something I had done hundreds of times before. I couldn?t figure out what I?d done wrong. Of course, in both cases, these were just the final triggers to things had been ?brewing?for years.

Imagine if we had pain every time a muscle contracted. Simply moving from place to place, or simply breathing would be terrible. When pain occurs, it is the body?s way of telling you that something is wrong. A balance must be achieved however, between daily movements and sending out a warning when something is wrong. If a muscle is contracted too much, blood vessels become constricted and a lot of bad things can happen. Muscles need a fresh supply of blood, and in extreme cases, when the blood supply is totally lost, will actually die.

The body sets up a ?pain threshold?, which basically says ?OK?.I?m going to let you ( the muscle ) contract a bit, as I know that you have to do your daily work. I won?t say a word. I?m now going to let you contract a bit more, and a bit more, and a bit more?.but I have a limit. When you cross over that limit, I?m going to activate and send a signal to the brain that we have a potentially dangerous situation. No matter what you do, I will keep sending pain signals to you until such time as you ( the muscle ) expand sufficiently to go back above the pain threshold.

This is the most likely case with the ?Coke can?scenario. The muscles have contracted over time, and gone over the pain threshold. You go home, relax, pain goes away. Next day, you use the muscles again and the pain comes back. Tylenol to the rescue.

?How?s the arm ?? ?Oh, it comes and goes?..old age I suppose?.glad I?ve got my Tylenol? ?Yeah, it?s great stuff?.really gets rid of the problem?.

Getting rid of symptoms is a whole different ballgame from getting rid of cause. ?The fire alarm keeps ringing !!? ?No problem, put this thick blanket over it, and you won?t hear a thing !!?. Great idea. Six months later?. ?Hey what happened to your house ??

When a Wi-Fi Client moves closer and closer to the edge of an APs coverage zone, the data rates will drop in incremental values according to the particular standard being used ( 802.11a, g etc ). However, as we get to a particular point, the demodulator in the radio will simply stop working, and you will get no ouput at all. The demodulator has a threshold. If you move yourself and the client towards and then away from the AP, you will have ?signal?, ?no signal?, ?signal?, ?no signal? etc. The term "signal" here meaning something which produces a useable output, as opposed to noise. You cannot change the threshold of that particular demod.

Dave

Previous posts:

http://www.cwnp.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=6666
    http://www.cwnp.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=6667
    http://www.cwnp.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=6670
    http://www.cwnp.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=6676
    http://www.cwnp.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=6680

Page 1 of 1