Forum

• Yes, I passed CWSP today (PW0-200), with one day to spare!

Kevin always asks for study methods, etc. So, to preclude his mandatory[quote] email, here?s what I did to study (in order of highest benefit and help):

1. CWSP test objectives[/b] was my #1 item or boilerplate (let?s see, have I seen this somewhere previously?. :-)
    a.I used the test objectives as follows:
    i. Copied the objectives pdf into a Word document (kept all original CWSP objectives in BOLD[b] font). You might need to get the latest Acrobat Reader version to do this.
    ii. Added all my study notes to this Word doc. Hence, I had the objectives (in BOLD[/b]) and my study notes right there in the same place--my master study guide.
    b. Did this get lengthy? Yes! 30 pages. But very, very helpful.
    2. CWSP study exam questions.[b] Purchase them and do them -- a lot! Then look at the question explanations. Look up everything and anything you do not know in the explanations and add to study notes in 2 above.
    3. CWSP PW0-200 book.[/b] (of course, this is now outdated, so get the PW0-204 book) I did not have the 204 book, but was able to reference some of it on Google Books.
    4. CWNP white papers: [b] AKM ([/quote]chicken and egg), Fast BSS transitions and many others.
    5. Read the CWNP forums-everyday.[/b] After your daily Bible reading, go straight to the forums and see what?s new and what you can learn today. And, many CWNP gurus[quote] have their own training or consulting web sites with great information. Just to list a few: www.gthill.com , http://wirelesslanprofessionals.com .
    6. Free test/evaluation software.[b] Yes, there?s lots of free stuff out there. Example: Fluke offers their AirAnalyzer software for free evaluation. You of course need their proprietary card to use it. But, included in the software are capture examples of different PHY layer interference patterns and what they look like on a spectrum analyzer (Bluetooth, video camera, RF wide band jammer, etc). Very helpful. Look around for other free evaluation software. Caveat?you WILL get phone calls/emails on wanting you to buy the software. Just be honest and tell them you are studying and appreciate their free software. Who knows?you might get a job offer?
    7. Free software, ver 2.0.[/b] Anywhere in the study notes that suggested software is used for monitoring, L2/L3 attacks, whatever, I looked it up and downloaded it and used it. NetStumber, Kismet, SMAC, ShareEnum, Wireshark,etc.
    8. Cisco.[b] No, Cisco does not run the wifi world (do they??). But, they have TONS of great, free documentation. WLAN controllers, VPNs, how to set up RBAC, you name it, they have a doc on it and usually, very good, detailed explanations. Be careful to draw the line where their general explanation of a technology changes to proprietary information. But even there, I learned a LOT. Example: although their WLAN controller setup doc was specific to the Cisco 4400 controller, it told what to do to set up a VLAN, preauthentication/OKC, etc.
    9. Other vendors.[/b] Now, for the rest us who know Cisco is not the only player out there (btw, I work in a Cisco shop ?.), look at resources all the other wifi vendors have: Meru, Aruba, Xirrus, Ruckus, Motorola, Trapeze, etc. Again, watch for proprietary stuff. But the resources the vendor sites have are very rich.
    10. YouTube. [b] Don?t laugh?there is a plethora of good wifi stuff on YouTube. Cracking, hacking, configuring thin APs, setting up WLCs, etc. Amazing, FREE stuff. They may not receive Oscar nominations, but good info.
    --see part two in next post

• By (Deleted User)

Congratulations, Glenn! Great stuff, great accomplishment, and thank you very much for sharing your prep methods. Excellent insights into what it takes to prepare for and pass the CWSP exam.

• Thank you, Kevin. A real honor to get an email from you! Brief question--I see that my test result printout today did not match the CWSP test objectives on the web site. Would you prefer a PM on that or handle it on this forum?

• By (Deleted User)

hmmm, interesting. Can you fax (919-287-2952) or email us a copy of your score sheet?

• Kevin,

Will email you a copy to the linkedin address in a few mins.

Additionally, if you look at the "current" CWSP test objective on the site (yes, PW0-200, not 204 and I just checked them again a minute ago), the pdf is of CWSP ver 1.0 (2002, Planet3 Wireless). I KNOW these are not the current test objectives, since I was studying the 2009 version of the test objective. But, I'm glad I downloaded it, as I cannot find it anywhere at present on www.cwnp.com.

So, I "think" I studied the correct, but now I am not sure. Was that why the exam was so hard?

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks Glenn. We'll get it straight.

• Kevin--emailed you at customerservice@cwnp.com. I do not have the premium version of LinkedIn (which allows emails) but the free one. Check it out tomorrow and let me know your thoughts. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1