Forum

• Thanks a lot for the response Paul. I'm building a site survey cart and I want it to be adequate for any site survey, including warehouse and outdoor.

It had crossed my mind to do the battery with the inverter thing, but I was concerned that there wouldn't be a way to monitor the charge. I'm headed off to the battery store to see what they have. Thanks again!

GT

• I think you guys are putting a little too much thought into your Wireless Survey Carts.

Go to Sam's and purchase the cart that has three shelves and 4 independent wheels.

Duct-tape + a Painter's Pole + Cart + Battery + metal bracket and a little bit of tinkering.

This will be a extremely effective way to survey - change antennas - adjust the antennas with the duct-tape - and have the POE battery placed on the cart as well as the laptop to make changes or update documentation as you go. Extended battery for the lappy.

Cost = Nothing compared to the over-priced carts for sale now.

• fintheman Escribi?3:

I think you guys are putting a little too much thought into your Wireless Survey Carts.

Go to Sam's and purchase the cart that has three shelves and 4 independent wheels.

Duct-tape + a Painter's Pole + Cart + Battery + metal bracket and a little bit of tinkering.

This will be a extremely effective way to survey - change antennas - adjust the antennas with the duct-tape - and have the POE battery placed on the cart as well as the laptop to make changes or update documentation as you go. Extended battery for the lappy.

Cost = Nothing compared to the over-priced carts for sale now.

LOL ... i love this guy ... He has described what Ive been using for YEARS! But I use black electrical tape instead!

• I agree. I've been using the WiFi SURVEYOR from Caster Tray ( www.castertray.com ) and it made my surveying relatively efficient because it's mobile, packed in a Pelican case. I said goodbye to my tripod setup.
    I can mount any kind of access point both wall mount or ceiling mount with its removable ap bracket adapter. The retractable pole allows me to lower my set up everytime I pass- by rooms. I also like the placeholder for my laptop, clipboard, and controller. The battery pack holder accomodates 2 kinds of battery packs I'm using. I highly recommend it to wlan site surveyors. I'm done with my makeshift contraptions of PVC tube!! You have to be professional-looking with your set-up for your clients. I only need 3 things to do a wireless survey: Airmagnet, AP, and the Wifi Surveyor. Keep out from buying expensive survey kits with unusable stuff.

• Does the pole fit into the pelican case?

• The pole is an aluminum retractable. It has a separate vinyl bag with plastic shell inside. Onsite, you have to carry the pelican case and the pole vinyl case. The pelican case can still accomodate a Cisco AP. For wireless site surveys. I dont need to bring any tripod, just a rolling case and a shoulder-carry bag, and of course, my Airmagnet on laptop. Mounting any access point is a snap. Sometimes when doing out-of-state wlan surveys, I just Fedex the case and the bag to the survey site. For big school, hotel, or hospital wireless projects, we bring 2-3 of these kits so we can finish early and go home the same day. One guy will do each building or each floor. Most projects are 802.11n .Also we have 9 battery backs to supplement. Our team is kinda used to these kits. ( Sentinel Technologies, IL )

• I use the CasterTray as well and have found it very useful. I do have a few gripes with it though. The plastic fittings on the pole do not seem to last very long with constant survey and shipping to sites. Mine are always cracking and I have found that CasterTray is not too helpful. The one time I got then to send a replacment part it was for the ap mount the the thumbscrew mount to set ap orientation was just a simple wingnut and did not work at all. If they would just sned me those part numbers and where to getthem I would be okay with getting on my own. 

The platform, battery/pole holder/ pc holder has been a total rock star along with the pelican case. 

Page 2 of 2