Forum

• Hey All,

After reading a lot about the CSMA/CA process, I was not able to wrap my head around the slot time.

What is the slot time (i understand it's a period)?

But like, what is it?

1 us, 1 sec, 2 sec ? (I was looking to understand how the slot time is decided).

Just like other IFS decided for each PHY, does the slot time also depend on PHY?

Is there a table I can refer to?

Any help is appreciated.

Edward

• The slot duration depends on the the modulation type, the band (2.4 or 5 GHz), what types of clients are Associated, channel spacing (MHz), and what the STA's Short Time Slot Subfield is set to.  

It is  measured in micro-seconds (μs).

Slot time for DSSS and HR is 20 μs - 5μs for turn around time + 15 for energy detect time. 

9 μs for ERP (with 20 MHz spacing)  - the difference from DSSS being due to the shorter energy detect time .

Look for CCA_Time in the 802.11 standard (Table 19-.6).

The short slot time of 9μs is used when only ERP stations are associated to the BSSS.

• By Howard - edited: April 14, 2016

Good point risshu.

That is a really good document, but it is assuming only 20 MHZ channel spacing, so it only mentions 9 and 20 usec durations.

When 802.11p is ratified (with its 10 MHz spacing), another possibility from the standard will probably kick in.

• Good to know!

• Thank you Howard.

• I went through the doc but missed this table section.

Thank you Risshuu.

• Are there values specified for .11 ac?

• By Howard - edited: April 20, 2016

/n and /ac are both  9 μsec.

Page 1 of 1