Forum

• while we are dissing the book...

the entire radio section stressed me out, especially the VSWR discussion. I'm a radio guy from way back and I can't reconcile what I read with what I know.

• I didn't view this as a "dissing the book" post, but can you tell us exactly what part of the VSWR section is contrary to your experience?.

• Hi Pete,

This is an old post so you probably already have it nailed now. Sry, just getting back into CWNP forums.

My take is as you described: WPA is a certification. RSNA is what the certification is based on.

WPA2 is a term that describes a certification handed out by the wi-fi alliance, that says it meets their criteria for being 802.11-2007 clause 8 (formerly 802.11i) compliant.

On the other hand Clause 8 of the IEEE standard describes the components of an RSNA network in great depth, in terms of protocols, key exchanges, 802.1x, etc. It is the authoritive guidance, and states *exactly* what is required.

While I like the CWNP books very much, I also think there is a lot of value in reading the IEEE standard for 802.11, if you haven't already, it helped me A LOT.

Most people use the term WPA instead of RSNA. But imo it is technically incorrect...almost synomynous but not quite. For example, I can have an RSNA that the alliance has not certified. Or, the WiFi Alliance may elect to certify a product that does not meet all RSNA requirements. (They are a reputable group that imo help interoperability in the industry a lot; just sayin its possible.)

My take anyhow, if any help. =)

Page 2 of 2