Forum

• OK, so The Triple Blendy whitepaper has finally arrived. It took forever, and even still it's a bit neutered compared to where I wanted it to go originally.

http://www.cwnp.com/learning_center/search_details.php?doc_id=s2m1

If you wonder when a sequel will be released that will cover roaming analysis in-depth, the answer is "I don't know." If someone wants to write it, they should call it:

The Triple Blendy 2: Roaming Analysis

Wildpackets is working on updating the USB600N drivers (via Raylink), and the roaming plug-in isn't quite finished yet. That's why there's no analysis in this whitepaper.

Comments are welcomed, but please be gentle.

• Thanks a lot for posting this Devin.

I was fortunate enough to see the paper before it was completed and have used the Triple Blendy a bit so far. I've been very happy with it and I encourage any Wi-Fi professional to try it out as soon as possible. Thanks a lot to Devin and the rest of the contributors to that paper. Thanks!

GT

• The folks at CACE Technology have had a version of this three-USB solution for a couple of years now using their AirPcap sticks and a 'virtual' driver to pool three sets of data together so Wireshark can see all three channels of data as a single stream.

It has been invaluable in analyzing VoFi call roaming - letting you see all packets as a client roams.

Good to see another 'triple blendy' solution in our marketplace.

Thanks for the very detailed description. (those were pretty cool USB ports)

Keith

• By (Deleted User)

Good point, Keith. The major value in Wildpackets supporting the WUSB600N adapters with an aggregator is that now the rest of us can afford to do multi-channel captures too. I think the Linksys adapters are $60 each. Those airpcap adapters are wicked expensive, like $700 a pop, so you spend $2K for a tri-channel capture.

I'm thankful for the new offering, but I'm wondering if the seeming driver issues stem from hardware limitations of the adapter, or if it is strictly a driver software problem. ???

• Marcus - your point is well taken. (I just happen to have the AirPcaps...)

The older AirPcap b/g only versions are just $200 a piece, but that's still a $600+ solution.

The Linksys versions are also N capable - so that's a plus on that side.

But the Omnipeek costs at least $2000 for the Pro version and the one mentioned in the article, Enterprise, will set you back $6k.

Wireshark is free, you just have to pay for the USB hardware.

So it's a toss up, pay for the software, or pay for the hardware...

The AirPcap with Wireshark is a very stable solution, but Omnipeek has a better and easier end-user interface.

On the other hand... then on the other hand...

• I don't think that comparing OmniPeek to Wireshark is a fair one. It isn't fair to OmniPeek when comparing price, and not fair to Wireshark when comparing features and usability.

If a person can't afford OmniPeek I understand, but any analysis professional needs a product like OmniPeek.

GT

• GTHill Escribi?3:

I don't think that comparing OmniPeek to Wireshark is a fair one. It isn't fair to OmniPeek when comparing price, and not fair to Wireshark when comparing features and usability.

If a person can't afford OmniPeek I understand, but any analysis professional needs a product like OmniPeek.

GT

I agree with it partially, the interface are so different that indeed you cannot compare them. however i don't think as a professional you need omnipeek to analyze a wireless network.

I would rather say that when you are less professional it makes it easier to understand what is going on. Ofcourse it would save a professional person time analyzing as lots of information is already analyzed and displayed for you.

Personally i like the overview of wireshark, next to that i run linux so i can use my internal atheros chipset for capturing.

When i try to troubleshoot a single problem or client i tend to use wireshark. However when i want to get a quick overview of the wifi i use airmagnet.

• I can't seem to access the Triple Blendy link. I am getting an error. All other pdfs download fine.

• Weird. It gave me a few "aw snap" errors. Once I opened any other white paper, then went back to the triple blendy, it worked. Sorry for the trouble. Just added this to the ever popular "bug list". ;-) Thanks for pointing it out.

• Thank you

Page 1 of 2