Forum

• Just to let you know, we're HUGE fan of Ascom. If you've not worked with them yet please look into them. Here's the highlights:
    + 802.11g (all other clients are currently 802.11b)
    + rugged (Ascom is owned by Ericsson, who knows a thing or two about making cell phones)
    + can be wiped down using chemicals (think hospitals)
    + messaging, messaging, messaging

I've done some analysis w/ these phones looking at frames/sec and datarates/size of each frame and codecs. I see roughly 75 frames per sec and the frame size ranging from 150 - 350 bytes for G.729 and G.711 respectively. That's for one phone, so two phones you'd double that, etc. What I like about the 802.11g capability, if you design/control your network right and have enough link margin you can maintain high phy rates and therefore have *significantly* shorter Tx times for each frame vs. an 802.11b network. Therefore, a lot more phones per cell. Also, a lot more forgiveness for retransmissions w/out noticing any drop in call quality.

To your point above, doing a voice-grade WLAN we try to be really careful about using antennas to try to limit hidden node. Think about hidden node at 75fps!!

Page 1 of 1