Forum

• Obviously backwards from a security standpoint.

WEP should be (or already should have been) discontinued first, and then TKIP. The PCI (Payment Card Industry) people have already forbidden WEP's use in affected networks - using a phased-in approach.

I am ambivalent on this. From a security perspective it's correct, but from any large businesses point of view it might seem draconian - and be ignored. Some companies (e.g warehouses) have hundreds or thousands of barcode scanners, printers etc. using WEP, and will be none-too-keen on changing them out.

If you look at the growth of WFA certified products and therefore companies on the WFA list, you might think that every product made is Wi-Fi certified. But that's not the case . (I'm torn on this question too)

I predict that one of the effects of this decision will be that WEP and WPA devices will start selling at a premium - for at least five years after this goes into effect. And that some companies will keep making them anyway. For a comparison, look at FHSS devices, and try to get a price quote on 50 to 100 devices.

The prices will take your breath away.

Page 1 of 1