Forum

• I have few comments base on much experience from doing this and another suggested method.

One problem to bear in mind with scanning is you will miss packets and can't guarantee you will capture the ones you want too see. I agree using a 10ms scan time will help, but is still not ideal.

Using two cards is much better. However as Devin mentioned this is not always ideal as a lot of newer laptops only have one PCMCIA card slot and the ones with two have them on top of each other. If the cards you are using do not have thin ends then you find that they push against each other and can cause damage to the cards. I have also had some funny results in this config which I believe could be due to the two cards being very close together.

My preferred method and the one I recommend to my customers would be using an analyser which supports wireless probes. My personal choice would be OmniPeek and RFGrabber. Using a Wireless card to capture on one channel and RFGrabber connected to my laptop via a crossover cable to capture on the other channel. This works really well and you get all the packets on both channels.

TIP: If you want to concatenate your WildPackets trace files together into one file, check out the hidden utility peekcat.exe in the bin directory of the OminPeek program folder. With the right options you can concatenate files and honour the time stamps.

Hope these comments are helpful.

Thanks
    Peter

Page 1 of 1