Forum

• Hi,

Cisco controller supports the combinations WPA-TKIP, WPA-AES,WPA2-TKIP,WPA2-AES.

I know WPA-TKIP & WPA2-AES. But I would like to know how are they different from WPA-AES & WPA2-TKIP?

Is there any special implementation needed on the client side to support WPA-AES, when it already supports WPA2-AES?

Is there any special implementation needed on the client side to support WPA2-TKIP, when it already supports WPA-TKIP?

Thanks,
    Ramprasad.

• ramprasad1211 Escribi?3:

Hi,

Cisco controller supports the combinations WPA-TKIP, WPA-AES,WPA2-TKIP,WPA2-AES.

I know WPA-TKIP & WPA2-AES. But I would like to know how are they different from WPA-AES & WPA2-TKIP?

Is there any special implementation needed on the client side to support WPA-AES, when it already supports WPA2-AES?

Is there any special implementation needed on the client side to support WPA2-TKIP, when it already supports WPA-TKIP?

Thanks,
    Ramprasad.

Good question. Standards state WPA-TKIP and WPA2-AES. However, vendors have allowed the mix and match of the two. If you were to choose WPA-AES you need to make sure the client and ap support.

• By (Deleted User)

ramprasad1211 Escribi?3:

Hi,

Thanks,
    Ramprasad.

Main difference between WPA and WPA2 pertain to authentication 4-way handshake und describe how are protected such handshake messages for confidenciality and integrity. Data itself must be protected with TKIP or CCMP.

From 802.11i standard:
    Key Descriptor Version (bits 0???¡é?¡é?????¡é?€??2) specifies the key descriptor version type.
    1) Value 1 used for WPA. This value indicates the
    following:
    ???¡é?¡é?????¡é?€?? HMAC-MD5 is the EAPOL-Key MIC.
    ???¡é?¡é?????¡é?€?? RC4 is the EAPOL-Key encryption algorithm used to protect the Key Data field.
    2) The value 2 for WPA2. This value indicates the
    following:
    ???¡é?¡é?????¡é?€?? HMAC-SHA1-128 is the EAPOL-Key MIC.
    - The NIST AES key wrap is the EAPOL-Key encryption algorithm used to protectthe Key Data field.

Hope this helps 8)
    Vertigo
    GCIH,Security+

Page 1 of 1