• Would/could it be possble for mobile devices to pass on malware to desk/laptops? If an Windows phone connected to Windows, couldn't the malware be transmitted too? Same for ipad to Mac.

Its good security practice to have a mixed software security solution. For example, use Norton AV with McAfee HIPS, not McAfee with McAfee, the theory being that getting through McAfee might make it easier to get through more McAfee SW in the same system. Getting through McAfee and finding Norton eats up more time as a way has to be found through Norton.

Thus, to me, if a workplace uses all Macs, it makes sense to only use Android tablets (and Windows phones), to enhance security and close off 1 potential vector.

Then again, could a Windows phone Bluetooth carrier wave infect Android/Apple phones/tablets? Or even computers? Os is the Bluetooth code too dissimilar among all 3 OS's?

Wasn't sure what the best topic for this was. Can be moved to an appropiate topic if needed. Thanks!

• Absolutely.

Not just different hardware platforms, but from different O/S's on the same type hardware.

As an example, find an old diskette, from say a Windows 98 system, that you know has an old time virus on it (from the same era). Run your [u]latest[/u] spyware checker on it, and you'll likely find it isn't seen as a threat. But it would be if you send it back to a different Win98 system.

• Based on all the cool letters at the bottom of Wlanman's post I'd say he's in a good shape to answer that question. Being the newer Wireless guy I am and an even newer (more of a hobby really) vulnerability junky, I'd say the simple answer to your first line question is absolutely.

I would think of it like this: Back in the hayday of Limewire and the like, you wanted to only download from known sources or individuals because viruses were running rampant. If you say downloaded an infected video and watched it on your iPad, the virus may do nothing to the iPad because of different OS etc. However, you would probably have stored that on at least one computer. If you say used your iPad as a mobile storage medium and then put that file onto another say desktop system, and ran it from there it would most likely infect said system. (I understand there were not iPads in the hayday of Limewire, but anachronisms be damned, full speed ahead.)

Btw I would recommend against the Norton and McAfee mixing. In theory it should work and play nicely. In my experience it rarely if ever works as seamlessly as you would hope.

As for the WiFi side of this, I would imagine that anything that can set up an ad-hoc network could effectively be used as a malware spewer. Or for instance, I think it was the black hat conference earlier this year, in which an individual actually set up his own Cellular cell, and broadcasted a message to all Droid devices that there was a security update available. Some huge number of people AT THE BLACK HAT CONFERENCE downloaded the malware disguised as an "update." These are the folks who are supposed to be rather security and vulnerability conscious.

The same could probably be done with WiFi and an open SSID. For instance the iPhone will automatically connect to an open SSID, say when you walk into a hospital with an available open SSID. Now I can think of a couple different security vulnerabilities that may introduce.

Anyway, hope this helps. If not hopefully someone enjoyed the diatribe.

Page 1 of 1