Forum

• OK, now you?¡é?€??ve done it! I was very content, studying for my Cisco wireless field engineer cert, dutifully memorizing gobs of product information, content in the knowledge that I didn?¡é?€??t have enough time to study for the Wireless# cert before it ended beta, and then along came intensified (hats off!) with his generous offer of study material, and I took the hook, deciding that with his aids, maybe I could squeak by. But, of course, I had to start downloading reference material. First there was Wikipedia, and then there were the tutorial-reports, followed by trade group association material, naturally followed by web searches spanning the globe. Soon I was burning up Road-Runner with downloads. Then, lonnylegrand came along (many thanks!), and offered spreadsheet summaries of intensified'sreview and more, perfect for study and adding new material.

Now, I was bagged! So many great technologies, so little time! Studying for the exam had become easy. But how could I stop! I mean, what about uwb (dead or alive), ev-do (or is it evdo?), Z-Wave, HSDPA, UMTS, DECT and all those other cellular-based beasts and much, much more. There?¡é?€??s no end to this madness and addiction. Got to know how these things work, and besides, who wants to miss out on the next big thing! I?¡é?€??m thinking of calling my lawyer to see if I can sue CWNP for corrupting my life. This stuff is worse than drugs! I have trouble sleeping at night and my wife and dog won?¡é?€??t speak to me anymore!

Seriously, I?¡é?€??d like to say a couple of things. First, I don?¡é?€??t feel the need to give pointers on how to prepare for this exam. Assuming Wireless# doesn?¡é?€??t change a lot as it exits beta, previous posts have done a more than adequate job of providing preparation guidance. Rather, I?¡é?€??d like to say the following. First, many thanks to the staff of CWNP for putting together a certification and program of study that forces traditional LAN/WAN types (I include myself) from viewing the emerging wireless revolution as just 802.11. There is so much going on, but it takes a real kick from someone like CWNP to force an old guy like me to see what is happening. Thank you.

Finally, I am continually impressed by the genuine sense of cooperation, communal help, and generosity displayed in these forums. I have benefited from them and I know others have, also. Thanks to all of you, and I look forward to future posts. (And, again, a special thanks to intensified and lonnylegrand for their help, and especially for their motivation.)

• WAY TO GO!!! More than welcome and glad I could pass some help along!!! Forget Cisco (I say in my Cisco polo shirt in my all Cisco shop negotiating a deal for a few hundred Cisco 2811s) go for CWNA first!

• Old Guy,

You just crack me up! I love reading your posts, and yes, I agree, hats off to intensified and lonnylegrand (nice work fellas) for their great work.

I so much identify with you. I want to learn Flash v8...uh, I mean new 802.11e product features...no, wait, I have to fit in Z-Wave and new 7000 series Intel CPU architecture...oh crap, only a year and my CCSP expires! How will I fit it all in?!?!

I have dual-oscillating 3Mbps ADSL lines at my house on a load-balancer, and they're lit up to the max, around the clock it seems, just pulling reference material...which I then have to find time to read. I have a wife, 4 kids, and a weiner dog.

We specifically stopped on the Wireless# exam objectives when it came to cellular. We don't want to compete in that market - we are all about WLAN/WPAN/WWAN data, but NO cellular. With WiMAX in there, it's hard to draw the line, but we had to stop somewhere. :-)

We noticed the same about a year ago, that WXAN technologies (and standards's bodies, and interoperability testing bodies, etc) and were sprouting up everywhere around us. We were so focused on 802.11, that we hadn't stopped to see what was going on around us. When we stopped to research new technologies, we were shocked...and hence, stopped everything we were doing and threw everything we had into what is now Wireless# - knowing full well that the 10,000 hints people had been dropping us for the previous year were right on the money. We were about to miss the boat if we weren't careful. So, we listened to our constituents and voila! :-) It is WE who are THANKFUL to our customer base for helping US! We are mere mortals around here.

Sometimes this entire effort feels alot like the grassroots effort behind Linux. It takes thousands of people pulling together, helping each other (and us), to build an offering that the industry desparately needs and wants. I'd like to say thanks, on behalf of the entire CWNP staff, to the wireless IT professionals out there that make this program possible with their input, feedback, contributions, and friendships!

Devinator

• By (Deleted User)

Keep it up Old Guy , I certainly could stand to use a few your brain cells. This wireless world is a web of who, what and why nots. But your approach to the madness of the amazing MAC mysteries are remarkable.

• Devin,

Many thanks for the gracious reply! You make a lot of important points. One area you touch on concerns a question I?¡é?€??ve been thinking about of late. Namely, the probable coming struggle between IEEE based wireless technologies and proprietary cellular based technologies for control of the personal communication space. It seems the world is converging on OFDM-based physicals, even so, there remains a question as to the information architecture that will allow individual (let?¡é?€??s say human) to any communication. In other words, do we really need a (wireless) LAN, if a cell company can give us enough bandwidth to satisfy our information needs? (Here, I?¡é?€??m thinking of file sharing/storage, high speed information retrieval, voice/video, you name it, but not including PAN communication.) On the other hand, if there are physical limitations on the amount of bandwidth that can be provided from central locations to population masses, then, it would appear there needs to be some intermediate architectural level, like a wireless LAN, to aggregate information and provide gateway functionality to other architectural levels. Hopefully, you can see where my question is headed. I really have no good ideas as to an answer. (I should have studied EE in college. Maybe there is still time.) I would really love to know what you and your colleagues see in your crystal balls as to how the information world will look in the coming years, especially regarding personal wireless communication. As engineers, should we be studying FFTs, or just buy stock in Verizon?

Thanks,
    Oldguy

• You have raised a good point. Now, since you've passed Wireless#, you obviously should be familiar with the speeds-n-feeds of WiMAX. Wi-Fi has great uses and OBVIOUS shortfalls. Cell technology is the complete opposite of Wi-Fi, but has great uses and obvious shortfalls. What lives in the middle? WiMAX. 802.16e is a very neat thing in my humble opinion. http://www.wimax.com/education/faq/faq40

WiMAX is partially licensed and partially license-free - both of which are very good things for different occasions.

With real-world throughputs of up to 45 Mbps at ranges of 4-5 miles (NLOS) or 10 miles (LOS), you can easily see the value of this technology to fit the situation you're describing.
    http://www.wimax.com/education/faq/faq38
    http://www.wimax.com/education/faq/faq31

Do I think any ones of these technologies (WiMAX, Cellular, Wi-Fi) will take the place of the other two? No. I think each will be further developed to be the best in its niche, and client radios capable of supporting all of them will soon enough be available to the public at low cost...and integrated into everything short of the kitchen sink...which is left for ZigBee or Z-Wave. :-D

Devinator

• Congrats Oldguy........... Happy to see that you passed the test...

With all that you've done in your short lifetime......... I'd like to capitalize on 2 of them in particular........ I'll come to NYC... and how bout I ask for nice filet migon and bloody mary..... that should cover 2 of your educated fields, right?

On to the CWNA for me...

• Old Guy - Congrats to you! Awesome news!

• Old Guy,

Congrats on the pass... I'll retaking this one in a couple weeks as I am sort of new to the wireless technology.. I find it fascinating...

Phil

Page 1 of 1