Forum

• Looking at the chapters in the forthcoming Wireless# StudyGuide from McGraw-Hill there seems to be no specific chapter dedicated to RFID. WiMAX, Bluetooth, Zigbee and IrDA all have their own but not RFID. Also the Certification Requirements makes no mention of RFID on that page nor on the Web Sites to visit.

Since RFID is possibly one of the most singular, and by volume of devices most widely deployed of all the technologies is its emphasis in this exam being modified in favour of more focussed certification or different certification vendor?

Karl

• By (Deleted User)

[quote="karlhutchinson"]Also the Certification Requirements makes no mention of RFID on that page nor on the Web Sites to visit.[/quote]

RFID is covered in 2 separate sections of the Wireless# exam objectives: 1.9 and 4.1.

Wireless# is not an RFID cert. CompTIA already has that: RFID+

Wireless# is a very wide introduction to many wireless technologies, almost all of which will continue to grow much like Wi-Fi has over the past 5 years.

• Yes indeed RFID is covered in the syllabus but bearing in mind its importance I was surprised that it did not merit it's own chapter in the official study guide where by comparison other more marginal technologies did.

It just paints a bit of a confusing picture seemingly downgrading it in the official study guide as it were, and missing relevant web sites to visit for information. But I'm sure the resouceful will make up the difference.

Indeed I did not suggest that Wireless# was an RFID certification as CompTIA have theirs up and runing so I guess your giving some professional courtesy to them by not emphasising RFID in the official study guide.

A word of caution about searching for the forthcoming guide and getting good prices though. Although not yet published many book sites list it. Do it on the ISBN number not by name, I've noticed some of the lesser known but still well used book shopping sites are failing to recognise the "#" in Wireless# and are returning a blank. Where a search on the self same engine using the ISBN number returns a result.

Of course this site I'm sure will sell you a copy with other goodies too, but it may be a long and expensive wait for international buyers though. Good luck on the exam to all who take it.

• karl,
    great point. chapter 10, in the official study guide, is all about RFID. Still it is a brief chapter seeing how it is just a subtopic of this certification. Like you, I felt it warranted more than an honorable mention, so we included a chapter on the topic. The chapter outline at McGraw-Hill's website is not exactly accurate. Here is the actual breakdown:

1 - The Wireless World
    2 - Radio Frequency Basics
    3 - Wi-Fi Features and Functionality
    4 - Wireless Networking Devices
    5 - Wireless Client Devices
    6 - WiMAX
    7 - Bluetooth
    8 - Infrared
    9 - ZigBee
    10 - RFID
    11 - Wireless Security
    12 - Installing, Troubleshooting and Optimizing Your WLAN

The end result is about a 400 page book with sufficient information to prepare for the exam. This book, in conjunction with the 2-day official course, will be an excellent learning experience for those who choose the complete path.

Hope that helps,
    Tom Carpenter

• You know Tom, if the publishers can't even get the contents page of the book right it really does not give one a whole lot of confidence in the rest of the content does it.

I'm sure you've done your bit I just hope they have too. Some time back I reviewed a book from another publishing house who has now been swallowed up by the Wiley tribe - that takeover was in the runes for a while because quite frankly they were publishing er well c**p to put none too fine a point on it.

The book was about MPLS and it became soon apparent that whatever it covered it was NOT MPLS. It also soon became apparent that the author of the book could not recognise his own work as the editor had been at it with a big red pen. The result of all this penny pinching..........pulping!

I just hope McGraw Hill didn't hire any editors from that cowboy outfit!

Karl

• The publishers release the predicted contents early on as a service to their customers. These contents are likely to change during the production of the material. This is due to the author having "enlightenment" related to content organization as the work is being done - at least that has been my experience.

Hopefully that answers your concerns.

Tom Carpenter

• I think a lot of the problems come from authors being rushed to market by publishing houses who are too keen to be "first" on the book shelves.

This really shows up in the errata very often. I have one McGraw-Hill book which has such an enormous errata I'm wondering whether I've got the same book as the errata was quoted for. So far it's taken me two days to go through it with over half the diagrams being completely wrong and many requiring complete re-annotation. Result the book is virtually unreadable.

Just a quick run with a spellchecker would have helped. Looks like the book was written by a dyslectic with severe Turrets syndrome. Anyway I expectyour will be trouble free.

Karl

• Well, let's hope there aren't as many or those kinds of troubles anyway ;-)

Tom Carpenter

Page 1 of 1