Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Hi:

In LAN the bridging -among others aspects- considers:

-A root for domain.
    -A non-root can be communicated with another non-root in a plan of tree -assuming that a root exists-.

¿Is applicable the previous thing in the communication of bridges wireless?

Thank you for your help.

• Hi:

Wired and wireless bridges implement Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) according to IEEE 802.1D, in other words, the same way. This includes the concept of the bridges electing amongst themselves one root bridge.

But this is not the only way the word "root" is used in 802.11 literature. Most 802.11 vendors have added proprietary features to their access points and have adopted additional terms to describe them, such as root mode, non-root mode, and repeater mode. These terms are defined by each vendor, not by the IEEE standards.

I hope this helps.
    Have a great day. /criss

• Chriss is right on and another little tip to keep in mind is that in your enterprise installations or heavy use access point locations you should consider disabling spanning tree BPDU from proagating ONTO your cells if your cells are just spokes hanging off your switch. Most switches support this(Ciscos do). That way you save DCF cycles for all those needless multicast bdpd's dumped onto your cell from your switch and floating around your airwaves:))))

You can verify this with a wireless sniffer.

• By (Deleted User)

[quote="jsicuran"]Chriss is right on and another little tip to keep in mind is that in your enterprise installations or heavy use access point locations you should consider disabling spanning tree BPDU from proagating ONTO your cells if your cells are just spokes hanging off your switch. Most switches support this(Ciscos do). That way you save DCF cycles for all those needless multicast bdpd's dumped onto your cell from your switch and floating around your airwaves:))))

You can verify this with a wireless sniffer.[/quote]

jsicuran, you've just given me another nightmare. I'm now picturing a massive spanning tree event shutting down both the wired and wireless networks due to a network client having both wired and wireless NICS (don't laugh. I do that here in my home network sometimes, and we all know how users have a way of gumming things up, even when their intentions are honorable)

Yipes!!!!!!!!! ;)

• Yea but most switch ports(cisco that is) have an option to not propagate STP out of an edge port like one attached to an access point. So, the port can receive STP bpdus from upstream devices via the switche's backplane but not propagate out(tx) where the AP is. That way the port can still participate in STP but not waste DCF cycles for spoke(stub) ports where APs are connected In the old days you had to filter but I recall a specific command on the 3550's. No need for port fast also.

Regards..

Page 1 of 1