Forum

• Hello:

What signifies "root mode" and "non-root mode" proprietary?

And

What relation has the previous thing with the bridging in the wireless?

Thank you for help me.

• Hi Elobo:

These terms are unknown to the IEEE 802.11 standards. They were created by vendors who extended the features of 802.11 Access Points (AP) to create novel bridging solutions and needed to give names to the resulting proprietary configuration modes. These solutions may only work when 802.11 equipment involved is all from one vendor.

A vendor may mean by "root mode" that an AP is connected to an Ethernet and upstream of a second AP with which it is able to communicate over the wireless medium (WM). The root AP may have its own associated wireless client stations.

The same vendor may mean by "non-root mode" that an AP is downstream of a "root" AP with which it is able to communicate over the WM. The non-root AP may be connected to a second Ethernet with wired stations, have its own associated wireless client stations, or both.

In this scenario two Basic Service Sets (BSSs) and two Ethernets are bridged together into what appears to attached stations as one data-link which can operate together as one IP subnet.

Thanks. /criss

• elobo Escribió:

Hello:

What signifies "root mode" and "non-root mode" proprietary?

And

What relation has the previous thing with the bridging in the wireless?

Thank you for help me.

Whitout any context on were this option is available this is what I can tell you.

I have seen this denomination in wireless bridges configuration.

In order to be able to support point-to-point and multi-point the software always consider to be in a multi-point configuration.

In a point-to-point configuration you will have 1 root and 1 non-root. In a multi-point: 1 root and many non-root.

You have to remember, wireless bridge are not standard, so every implementation is propriatary, with the implications that commes whith it.

Salutation.

Guy

Page 1 of 1