Forum

• Anyone seen this yet? Looks quite promising...

http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-330g/overview.HTM

• I have one of these on the way now since I travel so much...Devin, might be time to run this through the test lab!

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=257

• By (Deleted User)

http://www.shinyplastic.com/archives/07-30-04-reviews-review_netgear_wgr101_80211g_travel_router.php

compughter

• I got to get one of those.

• I got mine and took it with me on my trip to FL. I have to tell you...it is awesome. Loaded the drivers in about 2 minutes. Plugged in the ethernet and power cable and was surfing the net about 30 seconds later.

This thing is only about the size of a pack of cigarettes and comes in a little travel case. Very nice and worth every dime of the cost.

• Where on Earth does Netgear get off calling the WGR101 a wireless router? It's an access point that provides a portal on to a wired network. Yeah, you can call it a "router with only two interfaces," but there's no mention of the term "access point." At least the advert for the ASUS WL-330g calls a spade a spade.

Maybe NetGear wants to down-play the fact that they are making it easier for people to spread rogue access points across one's network topology. Or maybe Cisco doesn't care how Netgear markets its products.

• Complete security with Double Firewall ­ Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Network Address Translation (NAT) ­ protects against malicious hackers. Supports IPSec and PPTP pass-through for Virtual Private Network (VPN) and 64- or 128-bit Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption for maximum security, plus wireless SSID broadcast on/off capability as an added safeguard.

This is probably why they call it a router.

• It's an access point that has features of a dual-interface router.

I'll rephrase my rhetorical question to: "Where on Earth does Netgear get off not calling the WGR101 an access point?"

• Well, to be honest...I could care less what Netgear calls it. It is reasonably priced, does exactly what they advertise and makes my life on the road *ALOT* easier. With that in mind, they could call it a piece of cake for all I care.

• What is disturbing to me is the almost frivolous way wireless technology is marketed today, and the enormous security problems that this is causing. Every week I am consulted by businesses that want to implement wireless technology, but they have absolutely no practical "business need" for it (they want wireless but they don't need it). I explain the security problems involved, and how implementing/maintaning wireless will drive up their TCO and give them little ROI. Many decide to drop it, or at least put it off until a future time when security is better.

I just wonder why Netgear made the decision to leave the term "access point" off their marketing copy of this product. If they thought it would increse sales then I really wonder how they reached this conclusion.

meijin Escribió:

Second, it is Linksys that is owned by Cisco, not Netgear.

Yes, you are correct. I always get that confused. Several years ago there was some strong connection between Cisco and Netgear, but I don't remember what it was, and that always sticks the two of them together in my head.

Page 1 of 2