Forum

• What do you think???

http://www.winxpnews.com/?id=148

• By (Deleted User)

I didn’t read the complete article but I think this discussion has been going on around different forums for a while in regards to unsecured wireless LAN’s and who is responsible. I see it like this, I leave my cordless phone outside my house, then some call’s a 900 line, then I get the invoice. Who is responsible for the charges???
    Any one that leaves their wireless AP open should be penalize with a 5 year dial up to the internet probation period.

• By (Deleted User)

Anonymous Escribió:

Any one that leaves their wireless AP open should be penalize with a 5 year dial up to the internet probation period.

LMAO!!!

Man that's a tough penalty...I don't think I would be able to make it.

• http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=15&SECTION=9&YEAR=2000&TYPE=TEXT

• So the way I read the above....I can connect to an open network as long as I don't capture and or analyze any packets....I guess this would go for snagging packets off the internet and reading someone's im conversations or email. Good thing nobody would ever do anything like that especially me! I wouldn't fare well in lockup....

• I thought it was the other way around, based on the circuit city case, I think it was CC. You have heard about it, the guys in the parking lot who accessed a big chain store's network.

My understanding was from other board discussions that you can enumerate and associate but you cannot receive an IP address and use anyones network from that point on. It is a felony once you get the IP.

As for just associating I don't think it is a felony for how many open AP associations are out there and if the govt. puts the onus on the consumers and manfactures to make sure consumer gear does not automatically associate to a neighbor's AP is a bit much. The industry and consumer market would have to change the scanning and association methods etc. and that is never going to happen.

As for sniffing as long as you don't associate and/or gain an IP address you are not doing anything illegal??? devineator's link to the fcc sub part covers this but is there a precedent cited?

I mean hey you put out a wireless sniffer that is not even IP enabled and it picks up packets from the air and you never even associated to "anything" how can a tough case be made agianst you? This is akin to you just hearing someone elses conversation from across the street. It is not your fault they are such loud speakers. The air is free, for now. Is it?
    you did not encroach on anyone's network and you have no idea who the "conversation participants" are to offer disclosure of your activity.

Go over to www.netstumbler.com those guys have the latest on the law with this stuff.

• By (Deleted User)

Federal regulations are one thing but don't forget you have to contend with state laws as well. Legislation could be different depending on where you're standing at the time.

Joel

Page 1 of 1