Forum

• By (Deleted User)

I've seen and drooled over the Wireless kits offered out there by the "Big Boyz" like AirMagnet and Wireless Valley, Airespace, Ekahau. They are co$tly. I love the colorful graphical overlays they give the cu$tomer$. I only wish I could acquire these high tech tool and kits of that caliber.

I know, there are well financed companies that can afford these tools and are surely impre$$ing the client$ and providing first class reports.

My question:

Is this the most preferred way a company should conduct the Site Survey, as a CWNP representative. I want to represent my certfications in the best possible light... budget but not look like a quack

Why?

I am currently using the Cisco B (340/350) PCMCIA cards Client Utility and Netstumbler for Site Surveys and packaging it as a word doc for the client. They are not as in depth as those professional tools, but they get the job done.

Needless to say,

As a CWNP, I want to make the most of crendentials and guide those that do make a career of wireless in the right direction. How can I compete with the "Ivy League" of Wireless Software and the enterprise AP vendors?

HELP?

compughter

• I use Ekahau and for the most part I think it works really well. I checked out a few of the others and for indoor use I found this to be the best. I also like using Netstumbler along with the Cisco Survey tool.
    I think it really depends on the depth that your going into your surveys.

Dan
    CWNA

• If I were doing "independent consultant" work and were trying to compete with what you call "ivy league" companies, I would absolutely go with something along the lines of AirMagnet Site Surveyor or Ekahau Site Survey. These tools are fantastic verification tools, and give far more information than your standard Netstumbler, Cisco client utilities, etc. Customers are starting to get used to this level of quality, and if you are to compete you will have to do an RFP in many cases. You will have to propose the same kinds of reports that your competition proposes. You will have to provide the highest level of quality in order to be invited back to do the installation work. Site surveys are only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to income. Installations, security, selling equipment, and other things follow. You should expect to buy and use the best tools and to give the customer the best quality reports always. That's my 2 cents. ;-)

Devinator

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks Dan & Devinator, I truly honor your opinions. I want to be the best and use the best tools. I might not have the money but the investment in the tools is worth the efforts.

Thanks again,

compughter-CWSP

Page 1 of 1