Forum

• there are some home version access point on the market, like d-link, linksys, netgear, and others. does anyone know how many user that these accese point can handle? I can't find these info from their website.

• By (Deleted User)

It all depends on the thru put and users applications. If you've got a Doom user on your AP constantly. The bandwidth is only as good as the input from the ISP.

You won't see a set number, is my guess. A ballpark figure is all that is out there. 15- 20 users on a G access point is probably what could work in a home setup. 10 to 15 on a B access point.

But none of us have families that size?

SOHO applications rarely get that big, but if you have one that requires more people than 10 to 15 users, considered the Super G with so called 108 Mbs claim. MIMO proprietary could also give you and expensive boost in users.

You need the PC cards to get that capability.

We have a Linksys 54G currently supporting 7 power users. It is working fine. We are over 50 feet from that AP. Distance does affect performance. I could add a repeater /amplifier or the other devices out there and improve the coverage, but for now it stays at the good to fair connection rate, with an internal PCMCIA 802.11G card .

Well hope that helps. I can't wait till the CWNA 3rd Edition is published. I'm looking forward to learning more and more.

compughter

Page 1 of 1