Forum

• Hi,

I was just wondering if there's a problem when I have two AP's in the same network with the same SSID name. Is that going to cause some kind of conflict?

The reason why I'm asking is because, I have 2 Cisco AIRONETS in the same network with the same SSID's. I have no problem connecting to either AP. When I try to put a Linksys Wireless 11g router in the same network with the same SSID I can not connect to it, but if I change the SSID number on the Linksys to something else I can connect with no problems.

My plans are to remove one of the Cisco AIRONETS because it's an 11b, the other one is an 11g and the Linksys is an 11g.

Is this a problem only with Linksys...having two AP's with the same SSID name???

• Hi Westchester:

No problem. Multiple access points (APs) or basic service sets (BSSs) are expected to have the same service set identifier (SSID) when the administrator wants his clients to associate with whichever one seems best to each client at the moment. As RF circumstances change any client may reassociate with one of the other basic service sets.

To discover why your client prefers the Cisco over the Linksys AP I suggest making a careful comparison of supported rates and basic rates on the several access points. If making these identical isn't enough to make your client ambivalent, look for other configuration differences. If you have a Wi-Fi protocol analyzer use it to compare beacons from the several access points.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• Thanks for the reply...I thought it was ok to have multiple AP's with the same SSID name for the reasons you have stated. Just wanted to make sure.

CHEERS!!!

Page 1 of 1