Forum

• Hi,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to wireless.

Why would your SSID response time from your wireless router be so quick to announce excellent or very good connection and yet the dhcp service on the router seems to be slow to issue an ip to the requesting client?

Hardware involved:
    Linksys 54g wireless router and an Atheros Comm. 11 a/b/g(client ibm laptop).

Once ip is issued runs rock solid without any other issues..

I've played with many of the settings.. i.e., beacon interval, threshold packets, mac filter, encryption on or off, etc.

Thanks for any help.

• Hi Pears:

What you observe is normal.

DHCP servers take time to double check that no other client is using the prospective IP address about to be leased. Typically this involves transmitting a ping query destined to the prospective address and waiting for no ping reply.

DHCP is an afterthought in the IP world which for many years kept technicians employed managing IP address assignments. By contrast automatic client address assignment was built into Novell's IPX, Apple's Appletalk, and IPv6.

I hope this helps. Can you include your location in your forum profile? Thanks. /criss

• Thanks for the info.

I do notice a difference between at work wireless access points being quicker with ip issue vs. home setup.

profile updated.

Thanks again.

• Check Proxy Professional (HTTP) is a special tool, designed to manage a database of proxy servers located all over the world. This program is essential for those who are concerned about their privacy and who want to surf the web anonymously.

http://www.socksproxylist.com

Page 1 of 1