Forum

RFID

17 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: May 30, 2005:
  • http://www.nwfusion.com/careers/2005/041105man.html

In a survey released last month [March], 80% of respondents said there's currently a shortage of RFID-skilled professionals available for hire. The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) conducted the survey, which polled 50 vendors, consultants, systems integrators and manufacturers.

These companies are having a hard time finding people who understand the science of radio frequency technology - such as how radio waves work and what types of interference issues can arise, says David Sommer, vice president of electronic commerce at CompTIA. "There aren't a lot of people with that knowledge at this point in time. That's the major gap that we see."

-----------------

Perhaps some CWNP certified folks need to be looking at RFID as a possible career path....they certainly would be qualified.

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks Devinator. You are a true motivator. HOOAH! You know what HOOAH means, I am sure. RFID sounds like a good carrer path, can you recommend any good books that cover that topic?

• I haven't read any decent books on the topic yet - sorry.

• Check this out.
    http://www.rfidjournal.com/

compughter, when are you taking the CWAP exam? No excuses!!!

• By (Deleted User)

badger11,
    thanks for the update and the link.

Let's just say, it is best to that I attend the class. I can't afford the expense of failing again.
    3 part/ 2 part answer questions killed me on the exam.

I 've been through this book so manytimes it looks like a war zone. I think I am overstudying. I decide to take a break , till my company sends me to the course. If that is latter this year or next it doesn't matter . I am doing what I enjoy. That my friend is the key to SUCCESS!

• Might I also suggest you buy this book:

http://shop.ieee.org/ieeestore/Product.aspx?product_no=SP1136

By the way, nice link to rfidjournal.com - didn't know they existed. thanks!

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks Devinator, I checked it out and will purchase it and supplement it with the CWAP book. I really need it.

badger11
    I saw that rfjournal link early this morning, once Devinator posted the RFID suggestion and noted they had a career section too. You were reading my SSID.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/career

• compughter, like minds think alike. Good thing we live several states apart. The danger is minimized that way.

Devinator, glad a I could post a link that contributes to the community.

• March 17th, 2005 - RFID World: Cisco Presentation Features AeroScout

At the RFID World trade show earlier this month in Dallas, AeroScout products and solutions were showcased as part of Cisco's presentation on RFID and network infrastructure. In his presentation, Steve Sneddon from Cisco argued that there are several ways to leverage existing infrastructure for a new RFID deployment. One of those ways is to use Wi-Fi-based Active RFID tags, like those offered by AeroScout. During this part of his presentation, Mr. Sneddon discussed the features of AeroScout's tags, and the benefits of using our Wi-Fi-based system for asset tracking and real-time location.

TransAlta Corp. is no stranger to radio-frequency identification. The Canadian power company uses passive RFID to help maintain equipment in several of its 600-foot-long plants. But TransAlta wants to take things to the next level with a system that combines its Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth technology, and active RFID so it can find equipment and easily read RFID tags and metrics from temperature gauges, vibration probes, and other peripherals using a single, untethered device.TransAlta Corp. is no stranger to radio-frequency identification. The Canadian power company uses passive RFID to help maintain equipment in several of its 600-foot-long plants. But TransAlta wants to take things to the next level with a system that combines its Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth technology, and active RFID so it can find equipment and easily read RFID tags and metrics from temperature gauges, vibration probes, and other peripherals using a single, untethered device.

All of the elements are in place for RFID technology to take off in the near future: the declining cost of RFID tags, open industry standards, and enabling technologies such as PoE and 802.11 Wi-Fi.

Looks like 802.11 is going to be used with some of the RFID deployments instead of epc readers. I saw a web page for a vendor that was implementing supply chain managment solutions that were making use of wifi instead of epc readers due to the greater data rates and the greater distances that an rfid tag can be read using 802.11.

TransAlta Corp. is no stranger to radio-frequency identification. The Canadian power company uses passive RFID to help maintain equipment in several of its 600-foot-long plants. But TransAlta wants to take things to the next level with a system that combines its Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth technology, and active RFID so it can find equipment and easily read RFID tags and metrics from temperature gauges, vibration probes, and other peripherals using a single, untethered device.

http://www.mobilepipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=57701699

Cisco is working with Aeroscout on RFID solutions. Will Cisco buy Aeroscout and become the dominate player in RFID? Cisco's IOS rules.

AeroScout's enterprise visibility solutions use standard Wi-Fi wireless networks to locate valuable assets and people in multiple environments. The AeroScout system includes real-time location services (RTLS), long range active RFID, choke-point visibility and telemetry all in an integrated cost-effective infrastructure, enabling customers in numerous industries to drive revenues and cut costs.

• By (Deleted User)

Cisco is working with Aeroscout on RFID solutions. Will Cisco buy Aeroscout and become the dominate player in RFID? Cisco's IOS rules.

Don't quote me but last time I checked CISCO meant :

Competition Isolate, Small Companies Own

Page 1 of 2