Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Removed by originator (compughter) to maintain CWNP focus.

• EVDO certainly works and works very well, stop by EVDOforums.com and see the reports of speeds and coverage that many users are seeing.

Also, Verizon is about to finish Phase 4 Rollout of EVDO and many many new cities and locations will be getting EVDO.

EVDO Guy
    EVDO Info :: EVDO Forums

• I have also seen EVDO in action and was very impressed. I had a Verizon employee in my class and he had an EVDO card in a market that had not officially rolled it out yet. Speeds were impressive, but he said they would get a little slower once there were multiple users per cell. Still, EVDO is, IMO the first cellular data transfer technology that gives broadband a run for its money. Someone who travelled regularly could easily decide to spend $70-$100/month for ulimited EVDO instead of $40/month for DSL at home and an extra whatever per week for internet access on the road.

• By (Deleted User)

• By (Deleted User)

Removed by originator (compughter) to maintain CWNP focus..

• EVDO is hardly a cash cow for Verizon. And it isn't the type of service that can replace a DSL line at home. There are usage restrictions (not allowing client/server apps, not allowing routing, not allowing streaming media, etc.) that make it essentially a web surfing and email technology for a single subscriber station.

Also, if Verizon was actually making money from their hotspots, you can be sure they would not have pulled them.

In fairness, EVDO (and other 3G technologies) are great options for broadband wireless access, but the price points are too high to reach a broad audience. I have yet to meet anyone willing to pay the type of prices they are charging for this service. Some people I've met have subscriptions that their employers pay, but talk of this service replacing the DSL/Wi-Fi combo for consumers is far fetched.

EVDO is legit competition for municipal Wi-Fi networks, but nobody even knows if municipal Wi-Fi networks will work. The real question that nobody has been able to answer is, "How can broadband wireless access make money?" It's such a great technology that I've got to think it will fly one day, but so far nobody has been able to do it.

• By (Deleted User)

• By (Deleted User)

• I'm not familiar with Verizon's usage agreement. Does Verizon allow their EVDO connections to be shared?

Kyocera even suggests the KR1 as an alternative to fixed broadband services (cable or DSL) in the home, although if those options aren't available for home users, one wonders whether they'd be in range of the EV-DO wireless network.

I see this as a good alternative..I could have broadband access for my family at home and take it with me when necessary.

moe

• By (Deleted User)

I'm not familiar with Verizon's usage agreement. Does Verizon allow their EVDO connections to be shared?

moe, you are ABSOLUTELY right on the $$$$$.

That is the scary part when using this device. How will all the carrier's fair on this? Legitimate question. I think , if I was the carrier (which I am not) I would levy Kyocera /Dlink to share a portion of the bill to manage the bandwidth on the network. Charging and finding the user is like a needle in a haystack. :)

Page 1 of 2