Forum

WLAN design

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: May 1, 2005:
  • Each Access point has a predefined capacity to serve
    customers.

What happens if the AP is serving the maximum no. of users and more users enter the area?

Will they be served by compromising the BW? or can they be handed of to the neighbouring AP?

• Hi PushKar:

Yes, the bandwidth will be shared by all. There is no IEEE standard mechanism to deny new associations or hand them off. Some vendors may offer proprietary mechanisms. The 802.11e amendment may speak to this issue when ratified within the next 12 months.

I hope this helps. Can you add your location to your forum profile? Thanks. /criss

• By (Deleted User)

Cisco APs automatically load balance based on a number of parameters, such as utilization, number of associated STAs, bandwidth to the wired network (10/100mbps), etc. So, in that scenario, STAs would have been handed off to neighboring Cisco APs as soon as thresholds were exceeded or less utilized APs were seen.

Joel

• Hi Joel:

Do the access points publish their conditions so that client stations can make the better choice, or do the access points take a more active role?

Does Cisco publish an explanation of their load balancing?

Thanks. /criss

• By (Deleted User)

After doing further research, I've found that the load balancing process is not AP controlled. Per the 802.11 standard, the AP cannot control when a station roams, the station must control it. BUT, Cisco APs do provide additional information to Cisco wireless client devices that allow them to make a better informed decision about when to roam and when not to. I am certain this is a proprietary process and therefore cannot go into detail about what parameters are used to assist the client in making the roam decision.

Joel

Page 1 of 1