Forum

• We're having a huge problem with Intel's Wireless Proset software with our Windows network using roaming profiles. Namely, while Intel's pre-login connection allows the profile to be downloaded to the machine, the connection is dying too early in the logoff process to upload the profile.

We may end up using the windows client instead, much to my dismay. However, we dont have Windows 2003 server and therefore can't deploy the wireless settings through policies. Could anyone identify the registry keys or files that are used for this? I can deploy the settings after the imaging process, if I just knew the settings involved.

I find it hard to believe nobody has had these problems before, but I can't seem to find anything online!

Thanks for any help you may provide. Below is a more specific list of specifications and issues we're having.

Specs:
    HP Compaq nc6120 Laptops
    Intel 2200BG MiniPCI cards
    Cisco Aironet 2200 AP?¡é?€??s
    Cisco WLSE & ACS

Wireless Config:
    WPA/TKIP with LEAP Authentication
    Prelogin connection using Windows login information
    CCX enabled

Proset Version 8 Only (not a big deal):

Difficult silent installation, no documentation for this functionality although it appears to be supported.

Proset Version 9 Only (a pretty big deal):

For a pre-login profile, proset will not find the appropriate wireless profile on the pre-login connection. It will then fail and the PC will fail to login, unless the username is cached from a previous login. Once the PC is logged in, the proset will find the correct profile and connect correctly.

Only if profile switching is disabled the proset software will work as expected for prelogin connection at the login screen. It will find the wireless network and authenticate correctly.

I've since done more testing, manually installing the driver, and this problem was no longer an issue. I think my issue may have everything to do with the silent installation method fouling something up.

Versions 8 and 9 (the BIG problem):

While the pre-login connection works, there?¡é?€??s a large problem with the connection during logoff. It appears that the wireless connection will drop prematurely during the logoff process, causing the roaming user profile to not be uploaded because the wireless connection no longer exists.

I have tested this with both SP1 and SP2, and it acts the same way on both.

-- Matt Jones
    -- Winton Woods City Schools

• Matt,
    You are not alone I had the problem with the Proset tool and the 2915abg card on a test unit from Dell. I ended up contacting Dell Advanced solutions and we ended up using the True Mobile 1450 card instead.
    They said they where working on the problem for another customer when I called them.

I can't offer any help on the registry location. I suggest that you use a deployment software package that allows you to baseline a machine, make changes to it, than rescan the machine to find the changes made. We use Altiris?¡é?€??s Rapid Install.
    http://www.altiris.com/docs/products/rapidinstall.pdf

I used the above to find the registry keys for the Dell wifi network management software. The only drawback if someone re-installs the driver and the GUID changes the registry key changes for the network profiles.

Good luck,
    Terry

Page 1 of 1