Forum

• The set up is shown here:

http://www.hvdev.com/pic.jpg

my question is in regards to the 2 AP on the hill, is it possible to set them both as AP mode and the office AP is set up as client to the hill AP.

I was told to set up the APs on the hill: one of the AP as AP-mode (the one that connects to the home) and the second AP as client mode (the one that connects to the office AP).

So:

Home AP (client-mode) --- 1st AP on hill (AP-mode)--(ethernet connection) -- 2nd AP on hill (client-mode)-----Office AP (AP mode)

Is it possible to set it up like:

Home AP (client-mode) --- 1st AP on hill (AP-mode)--(ethernet connection) -- 2nd AP on hill (AP-mode)-----Office AP (AP client)

• Hi CGO,

First , why 2 AP's on the hill?? When in repeater mode most AP's shut down the ether port!! So no back to back!

I would try to setup one AP on the hill in repeater mode, have the AP's in the buildings (home and office)
    AP-mode / Client- mode. Set it up off site! But I do not know how many wire side clients it can support!! A WGB would work then!

Phil

• Repeater mode will halve the throughput. I always avoid wireless repeaters as i find they are not a good option. This setting should be better in terms of throughput. Furthermore, i want the signal to be directed and not broadcasted. How is this achieved with one AP as a repeater? I am thinking of using Linksys WRT54G for this and i am sure although it has 2 antennas, you cant use it the way most people think because the 2 antennas are not independent.

• I would be more inclined to use wireless bridges instead of access points ... this is exactly the scenario that bridges are designed for.

I have numerous links just like this ... with the bridges at the mid-point connected back-to-back via ethernet. Keep the antennas as far apart as possible and use the maximum possible channel spacing ... e.g. channel 1 and channel 11 if using 802.11b.

You are correct in that you can't use the two antenna connectors on a single access point in such a link. The two connectors on an AP are for antenna divesity. In a case such as you describe you would need to use an antenna splitter so that one of the connectors on the AP feeds two antennas via the splitter. As I said, better to use two bridges back-to-back, each feeding it's own antenna.

Page 1 of 1