Forum

WPA vs WDS

6 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: August 10, 2005:
  • Hi folks!
    I would like to ask for your opinions.
    Can WDS and WPA be used at the same time?
    I searched over the Google and some said that WDS can only be used with WEP.
    If this is true, why is it so?
    Thanks!

Regards.

• Hi Raul:

Wireless Distribution System (WDS) is compatible with all encryption suites, WEP-40, WEP-104, TKIP (also known as WPA), and CCMP (also known as WPA2).

Apple, for instance, supported TKIP on access point to station links first and added TKIP support on access point to access point links later.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• raul07 Escribi?3:

Hi folks!
    I would like to ask for your opinions.
    Can WDS and WPA be used at the same time?
    I searched over the Google and some said that WDS

First of all, we need to clarify which definition of "WDS" you're using. In 802.11, this term refers to "Wireless Distribution System," but Cisco also uses it to mean, "Wireless Domain Services".

If you're using the Cisco definition, then you'll have to ask Cisco. I don't know ;-)

If you're using the 802.11 definition, then I think that the answer depends on the capability of the AP that you're using. Although the term "WDS" is mentioned a few times in the 802.11 standard, 802.11 doesn't define how WDS should be implemented. Implementing WDS is up to the individual vendors. Some vendors might not let you use WPA over WDS, while others might. Fundamentally, I don't see any reason why a vendor couldn't do WDS with WPA encryption.

In fact, I just did a little research and found that, based on posts in the support forums, the Tsunami firmware from Sveasoft (http://www.sveasoft.com) appears to support WDS with WPA encryption. As background, Sveasoft is a company that makes custom firmware that replaces the firmware on certain popular models of 802.11 routers. The custom firmware adds features that aren't available in the standard firmware (but it's often less stable).

• Hi Raul:

Joshua makes a good point. Which WDS are you asking about?

Thanks. /criss

• Hi Criss.
    I was talking about Wireless Distribution System.

• I agreed with Joshua.

Even we use the same brand products, for example, the D-link Wireless AP, might have some compatible issues due to they are implemented by using different chipset.

The WDS connection is dependent on vendor's implement.

Page 1 of 1