Forum

• Hey Everyone,

Kinda new to wireless so forgive if it too elementary. I am currently reading V3 of the CWNA and had a question about repeater and bridges (more of a confirmation).

Suppose I have a office building with both wired and wireless devices connect to an OC1 curcuit to the internet. The office expands and open a new office in a near by building, with more of the same wired and wireless devices. If I have 2 directional antennas and LOS is not a problem, would both building share the OC1 connection with bridges/Repeaters? Or do I need to provide a WAN connection for the new building.

Since most repeaters use omni-directional antennas would I only limit the range of the AP in both buildings?

Thanks in advance, and go easy on the newbie

Psiclonius

• By (Deleted User)

Are the users on the new office will be on the same subnet with your current office?

P

• What you need for this scenario is two wireless bridges - one for each building. The type of antenna you need for each bridge will depend on the distance between the buildings. Since you have indicated that LOS isn't a problem, I won't go into details on the antenna mounting on the top of the building, etc. You don't need an AP and repeater, but instead, you simply need two wireless bridges. The Cisco 1300 series (802.11g) and 1400 series (802.11a) bridges are good examples of what you need.

Devinator

• radiomen Escribi?3:

Are the users on the new office will be on the same subnet with your current office?

P

This can be worked around just by putting a router as the only device on the receiver? It'd help with bandwidth too, if I remember rightly.

Page 1 of 1