Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Is there anyway to test the reliability of a wireless bridge link between buildings under 150 yards apart. Or is there a way to ensure the reliability of the link with a site survey tool at present?

The only tool I know of is a BERT. Where can you find a good inexpensive one?

Regards

• Is it already in place and you just want to test the link? Most bridges have a signal strength meter that will give you an idea of overall signal quality.

Ensuring reliability is a tough thing to do since you are so susceptible to outside interference that could appear at anytime. 150 yards is a pretty short shot for bridging so as long as there aren't any "weird" things going on. I have done links that long with the standard dipole antennas on 200mw AP's, although directional antennas are best to avoid interference.

If you want to test the link, just load it up with a bunch of traffic like a large FTP transfer. If you have a packet analyzer (luxury) you can see if there are an over abundance of CRC errors (bit errors).

If it isn't yet installed of course make sure you have LOS which I'm sure you have. Honestly, as long as there isn't a major source of RF interference a 150 yard shot is a piece of cake.

Let us know how it turns out or if you need anything else. Good luck and take care.

Page 1 of 1