Forum

• I read thru the forums here and found some posts suggest to use two different protocol analyzer for better performance.

Currently I have NI Observers. If I am able to get another one, then which one will be a good candidate ?

Thanks,

Vu

• I have used WildPackets AiroPeek to good effect.

• ditto that

• AirMagnet Laptop and Tamosoft CommView for WiFi are also very good products.

Devinator

• Thanks everybody.

I downloaded demo versions of AiroPeek and CommView and they look nice for me. AirMagnet is being downloaded ...
    CommView is not a problem because of its price. It will be a tough choice between AiroPeek and AirMagnet. I think I can only ask for one of these two.

My next question is how is your experience when using these products on the same notebook ? I have to re-install the network driver when I switch between these products. I am thinking of using separate network card with different model for each product so that I will have to swap the cards, instead of re-installing the drivers. How do you handle your notebook with these products ?

Thanks again,

Vu

• i use separate cards exactly as you suggest.

devinator

• I just replaced the Intel Pro miniPCI in my notebook by an Atheros a/b/g miniPCI. Now I no longer have to swap my PCMCIA cards when I switch the protocol analyzers.

I can even run two of those PAs at the same time :)
    But don't know if they may miss many packets if two runs in parallel.

Vu

• With them both running at the same time, you very well could be missing frames since both pieces of software use the main processor.

• By (Deleted User)

I use AirMagnet Laptop, Network Instruments Observer, and Airopeek (usually in that order depending on what I'm trying to accomplish).

I can run AirMagnet Spectrum Analyzer with an external antenna, AirMagnet Laptop on a Cisco ABG PC Card, and still have client access using my embedded Centrino B card all at the same time. Seems to work ok for me.

Joel

Page 1 of 1