Forum

• I still stand my ground.
    My primary concern as a professional security consultant is the security of my client's network...not being a "good neighbor" as Criss_Hyde stated.

---

Criss_Hyde states:
    "Hiding the SSIDs makes it relatively hard for authorized clients to join and for unauthorized clients to share the medium on well chosen non-overlapping channels."

Yes, there is an additional step involved for an authorized user to join to the network. They would have to ask their Network Administrator what the SSID is so they can type it in their client. I feel this is a small price to pay when you consider that hiding the SSID also gives the UNauthroized user another time consuming step before he can potentially access your network without your permission.

As for it being more difficult for other networks to use non-overlapping channels...A five second scan by the Network Administrator (ie. NetStumbler) will reveal what channels are being used within his range. This is just one way (of several) that he is able to avoid using an overlapping channel.

Well klulue...
    There you have it...the arguments on both sides of the table. What you choose to do regarding the security of your network is ultimately up to you...not myself or Criss_Hyde.

Wishing you well,

Page 1 of 1