Forum

• Greetings and Happy Holidays,

I have a client that we have just provided wireless service. Their son has an XBox Live and is having trouble getting connected to the online network.

I understand that Halo2 is a very bandwidth intensive game, I do have them testing the connection with a less intensive game but have no results at this point.

They are using a D-Link DWL-G820 as the bridge and a D-Link DI-524 wireless router.

I have other clients that are running their businesses through similar equipment with no reported problems.

Could you advise some tests that might help point me in resolving their issue. This is the first XBox that I am aware of that is connected to our wireless network.

• By (Deleted User)

We've got two Xboxes connected wirelessly and an Xbox360 connecting via wired Ethernet but all using the same connection to the Internet. None of them have problems running Halo2 over Xbox Live with the voice feature active as well.

I think either you have a problem with the router not getting enough bandwidth from the ISP or something misconfigured on the wireless side. Maybe you're actually connecting to a neighboring wireless network instead of your own? It's happened before.

Also, check your wireless connection and make sure you're getting at least a 5.5Mbps link, if not, you're going to want to either move the Xbox closer to the AP, increase the power of the AP, replace a possibly faulty wireless device, or install an external antenna with higher gain. I think as long as you can get 200kbps connection to the Internet or higher (which shouldn't be a problem with cable or DSL), you should be able to play Halo2 with no problems.

What is the throughput you're getting now from a laptop using the wireless connection where you have the Xbox? There are many utils that can tell you what throughput you're getting but one place online that's free and very reliable is http://www.dslreports.com/stest.

Joel

Page 1 of 1