Forum

• How do you determine how many Access Points you will need for the number of concurrent users? Is there a formula? Thanks.

• No of concurrent users depends on:
    ----------------------------------

1)Processor Power and Memory of the AP[Enterprise /SOHO]

2)Type of Application used .

Best ,

S.Senthilraj

• Hello Diane -

If you could describe the type of building you are trying to get wireless access in, it would help. Is it a coffee shop? An office building? Multiple floors?

Also, what type of use do you expect to be on the wireless system? Are the users just using the Internet and email or are they using heavy data usage applications and hardware such as VoIP.

If you just want some factors of number of AP's for a location, the list can be extensive, but here is some off the top of my head.

Coverage size and shape

Material the building was made of

Number of wireless users

What the wireless access will be for (i.e. VoIP, or Internet and email etc)

Some of these factors will also determine what brand / type of AP you should be using. If you don't mind posting more information, we could help out some more.

Take care and hope to hear back from you.

• Voice: 5-7
    Streaming Data (video, gaming, etc.): 10
    Data (heavy use): 15
    Data (light use): 25

Lots of factors will affect these numbers, but they are a good place to start.

• wizardonwireless@in Escribi?3:

No of concurrent users depends on:
    ----------------------------------

1)Processor Power and Memory of the AP[Enterprise /SOHO]

Don't know the power and memory of AP. But will find out.
    2)Type of Application used .

internet and email

Best ,

S.Senthilraj

• Thanks for your response.

GTHill Escribi?3:

Hello Diane -

If you could describe the type of building you are trying to get wireless access in, it would help. Is it a coffee shop? An office building? Multiple floors?

It is an office building with one floor. We have 3 buildings close to each other in less than .5 mile.

Also, what type of use do you expect to be on the wireless system? Are the users just using the Internet and email or are they using heavy data usage applications and hardware such as VoIP.

Just internet, email, and file sharing

If you just want some factors of number of AP's for a location, the list can be extensive, but here is some off the top of my head.

Coverage size and shape

Material the building was made of

Don't know

Number of wireless users

Assuming 100 concurrent users

What the wireless access will be for (i.e. VoIP, or Internet and email etc)

internet, email, and file sharing

Some of these factors will also determine what brand / type of AP you should be using. If you don't mind posting more information, we could help out some more.

Aruba Access Point 61

Take care and hope to hear back from you.

Please let me know if you need additional information. Thanks.

• The first thing that I try to determine is whether the number of APs in my design is going to be limited by coverage area or number of users per AP. For example:

A certain client expects to have 200 users active simultaneously in a 20,000 square foot floor of a building. Users are assumed to be roughly evenly spaced throughout the area because the floor is classrooms and study areas. That works out to 1 user per 100 square feet. A quick estimate based on an examination of the floor plan suggests that eight APs could cover the floor, so each AP would cover roughly 2500 square feet. That means that each AP would have to support 25 users.

How many users does the vendor say that the AP can support for the applications that the users will be running? If it's even close to 25, then I consider that the dominant factor in the design is the number of users per AP and plan to use lower power output with closer spacing between the APs. On the other hand, if the APs can easily support that number, then I design for best coverage and don't worry about the number of users per AP any more.

I see that I've rambled, but I'm going to post this anyway because I think it might be useful. To answer your question more directly: I start with the vendor's specifications for maximum number of simultaneous users.

• Joshua Bardwell Escribi?3:

The first thing that I try to determine is whether the number of APs in my design is going to be limited by coverage area or number of users per AP. For example:

A certain client expects to have 200 users active simultaneously in a 20,000 square foot floor of a building. Users are assumed to be roughly evenly spaced throughout the area because the floor is classrooms and study areas. That works out to 1 user per 100 square feet. A quick estimate based on an examination of the floor plan suggests that eight APs could cover the floor, so each AP would cover roughly 2500 square feet. That means that each AP would have to support 25 users.

How many users does the vendor say that the AP can support for the applications that the users will be running? If it's even close to 25, then I consider that the dominant factor in the design is the number of users per AP and plan to use lower power output with closer spacing between the APs. On the other hand, if the APs can easily support that number, then I design for best coverage and don't worry about the number of users per AP any more.

I see that I've rambled, but I'm going to post this anyway because I think it might be useful. To answer your question more directly: I start with the vendor's specifications for maximum number of simultaneous users.

Thanks very much for your suggestions, Joshua.

Page 1 of 1