Forum

New CWNA test

17 posts by 9 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: March 12, 2006:
  • Here's my situation. I would like to earn both my CWNA/CWSP certs by end of April. Spoke with my manager about goal/training. We determined that I could self study for CWNA (using the 3rd edition study guide by Planet3 Wireless)and I would enroll in a classroom learning environment for CWSP. The training company came back stating that the CWNA test is changing in April '06, and that my book wouldn't be sufficient for passing the current CWNA (which I plan to take in March) or contain sufficient knowledge to take the CWSP class they offer. Are they BS'ing me? Is the test really going to include a wide varience of materials that I won't get from my self-study book? Has anyone taken the CWNA w/ the current book I have? Passed? Am I in over my head? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My current background includes general networking. Taken the 2003 XP, server, exchange exams. I just want to explore the wireless side of networking and this training company seems to think it might be a challenge that I might not be able to overcome by myself. "Come pay $ for our CWNA..."

• If im not mistaken - I do believe the cwna material is changing
    But If your planning on passing the test before april . . then theres no problem - There are ALOT of study tips through the board

I think I dont fully understand your question . . .

Theres supposed to be a new CWSP book coming out soon (June) - Im not sure if the cwsp sutdy material thats out right now is sufficent enough to pass the test or now (hopefully someone can shine a better light in this area)

But as far as cwna - You shouldnt have much of a problem self studying and passing that

• Gonna take the current CWNA test in March. They say that my knowledge with the current CWNA test/study guide will not be sufficient enough to completely comprehend the CWSP new courseware in April. They want me to take both the new CWNA/CWSP bootcamp.

• I see

There are alot of people debating about the CWSP test

And the answer is - No - you probably wouldnt be able to pass the security test just by studying CWNA

The test is changing in april-ish and the new book is due out in june . . .
    If I were you - I would probably get the CWNA and just hold off for the CWSP . . But thats just me - Again maybe someone else here might have better advice

• By (Deleted User)

I can only comment on CWNA, as I don't have CWSP, but here's my 2c worth:

I think the book is good, but it does not cover all the possible material you may be examined on. Many people recommend reading the standards (I did not do this, but then I attended a CWNA course, and sat last year's test - December).

General network/telco knowledge will help too; if only to weed out the trick answers!

My advice: give it a go, read the forums - lotsa useful observations from many people. I also recommend the practise exams.

Good luck.

Erin.

• Has anyone taken the CWNA test recently? I've seen some sample questions that seem quite short compared to the MCSE questions I've recently taken. Usually the microsoft questions are 5-6 sentences long, take careful reading, and confusing. The CWNA "sample" questions look like below and are seemingly straight-forward:

What is the maximum transmitter output allowed by the FCC for radio transmitters utilizing FHSS technology (>50 hopping channels) in any of the ISM bands?
    a 4 watts
    b 30 dbm
    c 100 mw
    d 27 dbm
    e 125 mw

or

An advantage of DSSS over FHSS is:
    a range
    b multipath immunity
    c co-location scalability
    d speed

• draymond10 Escribi?3:

Has anyone taken the CWNA test recently? I've seen some sample questions that seem quite short compared to the MCSE questions I've recently taken. Usually the microsoft questions are 5-6 sentences long, take careful reading, and confusing. The CWNA "sample" questions look like below and are seemingly straight-forward:

What is the maximum transmitter output allowed by the FCC for radio transmitters utilizing FHSS technology (>50 hopping channels) in any of the ISM bands?
    a 4 watts
    b 30 dbm
    c 100 mw
    d 27 dbm
    e 125 mw

or

An advantage of DSSS over FHSS is:
    a range
    b multipath immunity
    c co-location scalability
    d speed

ANS: 1) 125mw 2) speed

• That doesnt really answer my question though.

• I took (and Passed) the CWNA at the end of January. Question length dependent on the subject being covered. Many where short and to the point (Which is the way it should be). Some where longer, because that was what was needed to convey the information needed. Mostly these where questions along the line of Company XYZ wants to do something and has constraints A, B, and C.

Hope this helps.

• The FCC "New Rules" are based upon greater than or less than 75 channels being used. If fewer than 75 are used the power limt is 125mW. Greater than 75 falls under the type of connection and frequency in use such as point to point, point to multi point. The FCC rule may be viewed here
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-222567A1.txt

Page 1 of 2