Forum

New CWNA test

17 posts by 9 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: March 12, 2006:
  • draymond,

I haven't heard anything about the CWNA exam objectives changing in April. Maybe Dev or Kev can comment. I imagine the test questions are tweaked on a regular basis even as the objectives remain the same. The objectives are broad.

I think you can pass the CWNA by the end of April provided you have enough hours in the days to use the CWNA Study Guide as a starting point while supplementing it with other sources. If you approach the exam thinking the Study Guide is comprehensive or a brain dump then you will probably be disappointed with your result. Use the Study Guide as a tool to prod your curiosity and follow up with research of the other sources (Standards, this forum, whitepapers, etc) and you will be much better prepared. Also, remember that security is 16% of the CWNA..so this will help you prepare for the CWSP class.

You should make sure that your manager is aware that this exam is more than just reading a 600 page book and sitting for the exam. A couple hours out of your work day and a couple of hours/day out of your personal time between now and the end of April should provide adequate time to prepare.

In this field nothing is easy- if it was then everyone would be doing it.

Good luck.

moe

• By (Deleted User)

This has been an interesting, but unclear, discussion. The CWNA exam updated last year. New book released last year, new curriculum to be released come June (come on June - lots of fun stuff to play with). The CWSP exam updated in January, the new book will be released (maybe?) in June, and new curriculum ?? - well, let's not go there.

Now - can a person pass an exam by self-studying? - absolutely! Can a person get board certified as a (human) Brain Surgeon by studying to be a Vet? - ummmm, 'probably' not. Now, though argued in these forums, passing these tests (IMHO) is not of the caliber of medical board certification.

The material is out there - with an ambitious involvement of standard off time (168 hours/week: -42 sleep, -42 work, -14 eating/grooming, ...leaves 70 - split 50/50 personal/dedicated study) absolutely you could prepare for both tests. Don't waste a moment, and try to have the facts down on the 1st read, so your repeat can be for fine-tuning your recollection. But - study the specific outlined requirements - and, use any materials that respond to those requirements.

Easy? No way!! Can do? Think back to your historical performance record. Will be encourage you? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! (go, guy, go!! Sis, Boom, Bah!!) And - although perhaps not easily obvious, I really am serious - I root you on sincerely!!

With the advent of ratified 802.11e, the anticipated near release of 802.11n (end of 2006?), and some would add, PoE..... ....the transformation about to hit the wireless arena has not yet been experienced during our lifetimes........ .....We need more understanding upon the professionals of the power about to be unleashed!

Good Luck!

• By (Deleted User)

I'll clarify some of the items that deedee put out there:

CWNA:
    Exam and Practice Test updated August 2005 to v3
    Study Guide updated to 3rd Edition April 2005
    Courseware being updated as I write, due to be available April 1, 2006

CWSP:
    Courseware updated July 2005
    Exam and Practice test updated Jan 2006
    Study Guide from McGraw-Hill in progress, due June 2006

All things CWAP still in v1

Hope this helps.

• Thanks all for your support...go guy go sis boom bah..lol.

So. Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly.
    The current CWNA Study guide (3rd edition) has current material pertinent (maybe I should take an English class for my spelling) to the v3 exam updated in August of '05.
    The current courseware (used by educational facilities I'm assuming) has outdated material (v2)? Which will be updated to v3 April 1st '06.

A new CWSP exam (updated Jan '06) exists, with courseware (updated july '05) that matches the the updated exam objectives. The current CWSP study guide is out of date, and new book will be out June '06.

To make this discussion easier to comprehend:
    I plan on taking the v3 CWNA exam - I have the 3rd edition study guide
    I plan on taking the new CWSP exam (updated Jan '06) - I will be attending an instructor-led class for this

THANKS AGAIN ALL.
    Dave

• By (Deleted User)

eh!.... You're trying to bump up the odds on the poll, are you? Yes - you've got the picture - with both of your's and Kevin's postings a bit clearer (and more accurately poised) then my own. Good sign!

You've got a plan, too - it looks good!

Best Wishes!!

• Your good to go. \____

• Just finished reading the Study guide...now back to reread it I guess. Took me 2 weeks and a day to get through this stuff. I have 3 more weeks to prepare, practice tests and standards reading....fun. More coffee please.

Page 2 of 2