Forum

Wireless Card

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: March 1, 2006:
  • What wireless card do you recommend for a desktop and laptop? Thanks.

• By (Deleted User)

dianewalker,

This question is a loaded one that has many variables, but from my own observation there are many good ones to choose from.

SOHOs like: Netgear, Dlink, Linksys, Buffalo and a host of other wireless vendors have PC cards that are good to go.

I have several cards for my PC. I mostly use the internal laptop Dell card which works with my Cisco ACU. When I need two wireless cards going I go with the Cisco card. It series 350 and is 802.11b. Orinoco offers a very good " Gold" card that gives you an exceptional client manager for spot site survey checks.

But if you are looking for more speed with 802.11 a//g, Try CISCO Aironet 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter AIR-CB21AG-W-K9.
    or Proxim ORiNOCO Gold 8480-FC 802.11ABG Cardbus Combo Card .

With the desktop use a PCI adapter form the same vendor as the card or use a USB ADAPTER

(if you go Cisco try the usb adapter from Linksys.) I don't think Cisco has a USB adapter-except thru Linksys.

Should your environment be PRE-N utilize the same vendor's equipment.

• The Dell Truemobile 1450 a/b/g mini-PCI card is great. For a PC Card option, I like the Proxim Orinoco 8480 the best of the cards I've seen.

• Thank you very much, Compughter.

• Thank you very much, Ben.

• I won't recommend a vendor, but just to make sure to get an 802.11abg card if at all possible.

• Thank you very much, Casey.

• Compughter,

Thanks very much for the explanation. I have another question. I would like to know which wireless LAN card for laptop allows me to choose the one particular Access Point that I want to connect to when there are multiple access points available. For example, my LAN card would connect to the closest Access Point available. However, if I want to connect to a particular Access Point for troubleshooting purpose, my LAN card does not have the option to allow me to choose one particular Access Point. My LAN card would pick the closest Access Point or the most available Access Point. Please let me know if my question is not clear.

Thanks.

• By (Deleted User)

dianewalker,

I don't work for Cisco, :)

but...the Cisco cards have an advanced infrstructure selection tab that allows for up to four specific access points (preferred). You have to input the mac address of the AP as part of the profile. See a description of this feature here.

Cisco 350 B/G

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350cards/windows/incfg/win_ch6.htm#xtocid3

Cisco A/B/G

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/module_installation_and_configuration_guides_chapter09186a0080506565.html#wp1161804

There are others that probably do the same thing. Hope this helps.

• Compughter

Thanks very much for your prompt response and information. Luckily, I purchased the Cisco wireless card per your previous recommendation. So, now I can use the link that you sent.

Again, thank you very much for the information.

Page 1 of 1