Forum

Stumped

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: March 12, 2006:
  • Can someone please help me with the following questions?

1) What attacks are not recognized by an 802.11 WIPS?

A) Deauthentication
    B) MAC Spoofing
    C) Protocol Jamming
    D) Protocol Analysis
    E) RF Jamming
    F) FHSS Rougue APs

Also, in the CWNA 3rd Edition on page 196 there is a section on Encoding vs. Modulation. This section defines DQPSK and DBPSK as modulation types and CCK as an encoding type. However, when looking at the IEEE standard for 802.11 it talks about CCK being a modulation type.

Which one is "correct" and which should I know for the CWNA?

Thanks,

• Jeremy,
    Welcome to the forums. The answer to your question is "D" protocol analysis and "F" FHSS rogue AP's.

D - Since protocol analysis is passive and should not ever transmit any frames, a WIPS product cannot detect this type of attack.

F - No WIDS manufacturer to my knowledge makes a sensor that can detect FHSS. If that changes then, well, the question will have to change. :)

I'll have to get my book out to look at the other half of your question. Oh, if you want to know why any of the other answers are not correct, just let us know which ones are confusing and we'll answer those for you specifically.

• Thanks for the quick help. I am studying for the CWNA to take the test in about a week for the second time. (missed the first attempt with a 67%, oh so close!!)

I am also having trouble on another question...

What does the IEEE 802.11b standard define?

A) How Mobile IP is implemented on a wireless LAN
    B) How a station associates with Access Points
    C) How users are tracked between two APs on the same subnet
    D) How users are tracked across subnet boundaries

The answer I have been given is B. However, I have looked through the 802.11b standard from IEEE with no joy. I am not one to simply accept an answer without confirmation. Is this part of the standard or is there somewhere else I can look for confirmation and further understanding.

Thanks again,

• Before I continue, I'd like to ask... where did you get these questions?

• Modulation deals with how you manipulate signals characteristics, in DSS phase is manipulated thus there are modulation shemes like DBPSK and DQPSK. Encoding defines how you assign bits to those manipulations like in DQPSK there are 4 distinct phases means 4 dffierent bits can be transmitted but we have only 1's and 0's to represent data hence a combination of 2 bits per transition is used as encoding. Thus CCK is an encoding sheme using DQPSK modulation which is given the book pg-196.

The answer to the 2 nd question is given in page-344 The Distribution System line-8.

Good Luck for the exam.

Page 1 of 1