Forum

• I recently bought a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. I installed Windows Server 2003 with no problems (I intend to use this laptop to study for MCSE as well as CWNP exams, hence a Server OS).

I then attempted to install 2 wireless PC cards, one Linksys 802.11b and one Cisco 802.11a card. After installing the driver for the first card, I inserted the card into the PCMCIA slot, but it was not recognized. I went through the Add New Hardware wizard and installed it manually, but device manager showed the device with a yellow "!" and the lights on the card did not come on. Same thing happened with both cards. I made sure I was downloading and installing the appropriate drivers from the manufacturers' website.

I tried both PCMCIA card slots on the laptop, and followed the manufacturers installation instructions exactly.

I borrowed a known-working Netgear wireless PC card from a friend's laptop and installed it on my laptop, with the same effect. Device manager lists it with a yellow "!" and windows does not recognize the hardware.

Am I right in thinking that both PCMCIA slots on my laptop are bad, or have I missed something? Any suggestions?

• By (Deleted User)

If you haven't done this already...completely shutdown and reboot the machine with the card inserted in the PCMCIA slot and see what happens.

If that doesn't work , disable the personal "firewall" for a few minutes.

• compughter,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have completely rebooted the the PCMCIA card inserted already, but will try it again.

Also, my personal firewall is currently disabled.

I am going to start troubleshooting this all over from scratch (including a fresh install of the OS) so any suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to miss any possible solution, especially something obvious.

John

• It sounds like a problem with the Windows Zero Configuration Utility. When you installed the cards did you select to allow windows to handle the configuration? If you did and the service is not started or disabled you will have that problem. If you did not, try using the utilities that came with the cards. Server 2003 is an odd bird. It looks like XP but has many features disabled by default for security. My bet is that it is a Windows 2003 issue not a card issue.

• Brian,

I hope you are right that it is a Server 2003 issue, not the card slot. I looked in Control Panel, and did not see the Windows Zero Configuration Utility - it may be that Server 2003 does not have that feature.

I have an evaluation version of Windows 2000 Professional. I will install that and see if the card is recognized.

Also, I have been having trouble with the utilities which came with the cards . . . the linksys utility will not launch (and does not give an error), and the Cisco utility will only state that no cisco wireless card is installed, and then close.

• Hi Pilgrim,

You have to check whether the Drivers support Windows 2003 OS.

Just call the techsupport guys and check if they have one.
    They might have a Beta version.

You should have problems with the Wireless Cards in 2000.
    Again before Installing the card in 2k jsut give a ring to Techsupport
    and ask which version of driver would they suggest to work Smoothly with 2k.

You will not beleive .They will have atleast 10 Versions.

Best Regards,
    S.Senthilraj

• I do not think Microsoft intended 2003 to be anything but a server in a wired server room. I have gotten other devices to work with XP drivers. You may want to try that. 2000 has no WZC utility. 2000 SP4 should give you no worry. Try 2003 with XP drivers. before you give up on 2003 so that you can continue dual study.

• By (Deleted User)

pilgrim4life ,

Hope you got this solved? Based on the other users post , did some research on this, and came up with Windows HCL (Hardware Compatiblity Lists).

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

It is a list that specifies compatible hardware software that will operate with a "WINDOWS". Don't know if Server 2003 can handle the older drivers you have, but like the rest of the posters said , perhaps, 2000 server or XP drivers may do the trick. They (Microsoft) stopped adding hardware devices at some point in time. Too many vendors...Longhorn, Vista?

Also came across the below weblink that talks about making the server a workstation?

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1