Forum

• Greetings All,

During an expansion project of my community based Wireless Network, I am starting to uncover, differences in amplifiers. Being an old Marine, teaching this old dog new tricks is proving a challenge.

I understand that 802.11b using DSSS modulation and that 802.11a/g use OFDM. I had always "assumed" that an amplifier was an amplifier just like ground was ground the world around. "HAHA"

My question is this. If my equipment while capable of using b/g how would the system be affected by using a "b" amplifier as opposed to a"b/g" amplifier. Remembering that since some of my stations are strictly "b" only and that my understanding says that the "b/g" AP will step down and run "b". What would be the best choice of amplification?

That being said, would benefits would an indoor amp provide over an outdoor amp? I know that an indoor amp would reduce the amount to tower work in cases where it were needed to be changed. That being said could you direct me to some literature that would help me in my studies of wireless amplification.

Page 1 of 1