Forum

• Greetings,

Here is a scenerio that I would like to submit for discussion and possible evaluation for solution.

For example:

I have a notebook computer with a 200mW PCMCIA radio card connected to a 24dB grid antenna talking to an AP about 1 mile away. The antenna site has approximately 2W at the antenna. The link quality calculation from the AP/antenna site to the receive site is about -47dBm. The receive sensitivity on the card is rated at -90dBm.

With this configuration I can test the throughput and get at least 1Mb up and down.

Now if I replace the 200mW PCMCIA card with a client bridge (example DLink DWL-G810 or SMCWBET-G) that have about 15dB transmit power. The bridge is connected to the same computer via an ethernet port, and is configured to talk with the same AP as in the example above. The receive sensitivity of the bridge is about the same as the PCMCIA radio card.

With this configuration I can test the throughput but get less than 300K and more times than not it is less than 200K.

The AP is configured to run 802.11b. The only mode the PCMCIA card can run is 802.11b. The bridge has been configured in both b only and mixed mode.

Has anybody else run into this scenerio and worked out a solution for performance. "Is the solution to amplify the bridge?"

Thanks for the chance to throw this out for discussion.

Page 1 of 1