Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Hi there, I want to migrate the security policy of a large number of users running across a number of distributed sites, each providing wireless via Cisco 1121G devices.

Currently the system is setup for WEP 128 only.

I would ideally like to create a new WLAN on each AP with a different ESSID and an enhanced security policy - either WPA PSK or WPA Radius authenticated.

If I can map this new ESSID to the same VLAN as the current WEP 128 ESSID, I can then migrate the clients over to the new security policy without having to setup multiple VLANS on the APs/Switches/Routers etc, then when all clients are on the new policy I can remove the original WEP network.

Is this possible on the 1121G?

I can do this using Symbol equipment but cannot see how to configure such a setup on the Cisco devices.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Steve.

• By (Deleted User)

This may depend on the IOS installed on the AP.
    Please see this from the Cisco Forum. I think it is relevant to your question. It is found on the Cisco support page for Wireless. Plenty of questions you have can be answered there on vendor related issues.

Hope this is where you were heading....

Getting Started with Wireless: 2 SSIDs on the same Vlan?
    Posted by: FlyingElmo - Berbee - Mar 29, 2006, 10:05am PST

Hi all -

Newbie question. When I am setting up wireless, will I be able to use 2 different SSIDs on the same vlan?

Example:
    dot11 ssid Example1
    vlan 2
    authentication open eap eap_methods
    authentication network-eap eap_methods

dot11 ssid Example2
    vlan 2
    authentication open eap_methods
    authentication network-eap eap_methods

| Outline | Subscribe | E-Mail this Message

Conversation Rating: 5.0 (1 vote)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replied by: rob.huffman - TELECOM ANALYST, MOUNT ROYAL COLLEGE - Mar 29, 2006, 12:15pm PST

Hi James,

Hopefully the attached docs will answer your question:

Cisco Aironet 1100 Series
    Using VLANs with Cisco Aironet Wireless Equipment

Deprecated versions of Cisco Aironet software permit binding multiple SSIDs to one VLAN. Current versions do not.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml#

Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points, 12.2(15)JA
    Configuring Multiple SSIDs

vlan vlan-id
    (Optional) Assign the SSID to a VLAN on your network. Client devices that associate using the SSID are grouped into this VLAN. You can assign only one SSID to a VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00802085c4.html

Hope this helps!
    Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

| E-Mail this Message
    Rating: 5.0 (1 vote)
    Rate this Post

Replied by: FlyingElmo - Berbee - Mar 29, 2006, 12:46pm PST

This answered my question. Thank you Rob!

| E-Mail this Message

V/r

• By (Deleted User)

Thanks Compughter, thats exactly what I was looking for, perhaps not the answer I wanted however!

Steve.

Page 1 of 1